Author Topic: Social Skills 101  (Read 6105 times)

Offline ROCKY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
Social Skills 101
« on: 06/12/07 - 11:42AM »

Offline Care Bear

• Level 2
Re: Social Skills 101
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/07 - 12:45PM »
Well... he seems to be an extreme case.  LOL

I am not bagging on you I just want to bring to your attention that home schooling is the safest and one of the most excelled and focused forms of education.  There are programs for "sociallizing" the kids and no HIGH SCHOOL can keep them from joining any and all extra curricular activities.  Most BRIGHT FLIGHT (scholarship for free education all 4 years) recipients are Home Schooled.  I know several families who home shool here because their kids are in their shows.  Most of them are outgoing, well spoken, and pretty popular among their peers. Not to mention graduating one-two years ahead of the publically schooled children. It seems harsh to keep a kid out of school but, if you look at the statistics it is both economically and educationally sound.  JUST A LITTLE FYI :biggrin:

While he seemed slow and fidgity as well as socially deficient he had the where-with-all to correct the reporter on national television.  

Thanks for the link!
ari
When you get squeezed, the stuff that comes out, is what is on the inside.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 06/12/07 - 02:50PM »
I have my reservations about people who home school.  I think even the socializing programs leave much to be desired.  Then again it's funny to see freshman at college that have been home schooled, nothing like the look of sheer terror.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline jpantleo

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 06/12/07 - 03:09PM »
Quote from: "ToyotaGuy"
Then again it's funny to see freshman at college that have been home schooled, nothing like the look of sheer terror.

VERY TRUE!!!  its almost like a deer in headlights look!

Offline iJeep

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 06/12/07 - 05:32PM »
That's hi-lari-ous.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #5 on: 06/12/07 - 05:51PM »
WOW!!!
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline Care Bear

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 06/12/07 - 06:17PM »
I am sure they were just scared from seeing you Aaron.  The Giant senior.
ari

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 06/12/07 - 06:27PM »
I had nothing to do with it.  Come August you can sit by the fountain and just watch them, they are easy to pick out.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Care Bear

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 06/12/07 - 06:33PM »
LOL I believe it!  I was not home schooled and I felt a similar feeling.  Sheer terror.   :biggrin:
ari

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #9 on: 06/12/07 - 11:14PM »
I liked this one, it was on the same page sorry

http://www.break.com/index/how_to_trap_government_employees.html
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jeepdog

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 06/13/07 - 10:15AM »
Well let me start by saying I or my wife home schools my kids for a varity of reasons. One of the social skills we teach our kids is that this world is made up of many different types of people and making fun is wrong. For example my kids would never make fun of a fat guy at a club meeting. Also, we are told often that our kid are very polite and well mannered when out in public.We are often asked  what school they go to, and people are surprise when the find out they are home schooled. I guess they missed the head light. Some of you have meet my son at some of the runs and he is at the meetings with me often, you tell me what you think will he be ok? No don't I all ready know your oppion and really don't care  to hear it. Here is mine, if sending my childern to public school is going to produce people with attitude like this then give me the social deer in the head light good respect other kids that I have now. Last of all I think that I may just find me a club that will find better things to do then to run others down, A skill I am not teaching my kids. I will stop now because I think I have said  plenty. As I said before my wife is the teacher if the grammer in this statement is your.... I went to public school!!!

Offline jpantleo

• Level 1
« Reply #11 on: 06/13/07 - 11:29AM »
Well let me personally appologize for my comment and since i have never met your kids, i am not judging them.  Also not every home school kid is that way.  I used to work at Evangel university in the maintenance dept and some of the kids that came to school there were like that.  The sheer terror of 1000-1500 kids all in one place is intimidating, heck even to some public school kids for that matter.  I even knew some personally growing up their parents never let them interact with other kids that much so there social skills were not that great.  

Please dont take my comment perosnally,  it is just a statement from personal experience that i have observed.

Josh

Offline ROCKY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #12 on: 06/13/07 - 12:33PM »
Quote from: "Jeepdog"
Well let me start by saying I or my wife home schools my kids for a varity of reasons. One of the social skills we teach our kids is that this world is made up of many different types of people and making fun is wrong. For example my kids would never make fun of a fat guy at a club meeting. Also, we are told often that our kid are very polite and well mannered when out in public.We are often asked  what school they go to, and people are surprise when the find out they are home schooled. I guess they missed the head light. Some of you have meet my son at some of the runs and he is at the meetings with me often, you tell me what you think will he be ok? No don't I all ready know your oppion and really don't care  to hear it. Here is mine, if sending my childern to public school is going to produce people with attitude like this then give me the social deer in the head light good respect other kids that I have now. Last of all I think that I may just find me a club that will find better things to do then to run others down, A skill I am not teaching my kids. I will stop now because I think I have said  plenty. As I said before my wife is the teacher if the grammer in this statement is your.... I went to public school!!!

What's that old saying?

"Children are a product of their environment."

Offline Care Bear

• Level 2
« Reply #13 on: 06/13/07 - 01:19PM »
I feel bad that not all of what was said was taken into consideration.  

I am not for or against Home schooling.  I see both sides and have been exposed to both sides of the issue.  I went to public school and my brother and sister were home schooled.  

I see where you may feel offended by the "making light of" and for that I am sorry.  It was not to tear individual people down, it was a debate on the pros and cons, and the effects of, as well as each persons observations. I feel bad you took it negetively rather than just a conversation among friends, whom all have different opinions and a sence of humor (whether funny or a little off color).  We are all good people.  And I feel terrible that you would not want to be part of something, where people feel comfortable enough to express their opinions, be welcomed regardless of that opinion, and still be able to have a laugh at the little things.

It was humorous to see that boy correct the highly educated reporter, to know how important the root language was to a spelling and make her feel slightly uncomfortable, while he was eating up the attention.  The boy was confident in his place, telling her to ask his mom what she said instead of him. I could go on and on.  He was funny.  Yes, his actions were funny on a different level (slow and fidgity) but, he is sharp.  And to go on, (as all of you are groaning) ALL college freshman have the deer in the headlight look.  They all won't admit it but, they do. Some have just been more exposed to the mass confusion.

Why can't we discuss this as friends and have a little fun doing it?  I don't know you or your kids and I wouldn't make fun of them if I did.  I am respectful. I went to public school!!  I am not angry or mad or offended.  I am not hurt or frustrated in any way about what was said.  I love that I have people to talk to, where we have similar likes but, different opinions and if someone did step on my toes why not give them the benefit of the doubt and look the other way while making light of the situation.  I feel awful that once again I am in the middle of hurting someones feelings on this board and I didn't do anything other than have an opinion.  But, I love this club and those that make up the club and won't let it hurt me to the point I want to find another club.  I am sorry for stepping on toes and I forgive those that stepped on mine!!!
ari

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #14 on: 06/13/07 - 02:26PM »
I'm sorry you took offense to my comment.  It was not intended as a personal attack on anyone.  

I see some parents logic in home schooling, when test grades continue to fall and some think that public education is severly lacking.

So why did YOU chose to home school your children?