Author Topic: Stretching my jeep  (Read 2999 times)

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
Stretching my jeep
« on: 12/23/09 - 02:34AM »
I posted this on SMORR, but figured I'd get more advice here.

I've been kicking around the idea of stretching the TJ for a while now, thought I'd see what you guys' opinions are. It's on 33's for now, with 36's in the future. I'm thinking about adding 6 inches to the rear, putting it right about 100" wheelbase. I'm doing the 4 link in a few weeks, already have the parts, just wondering if I should go ahead and stretch it while I'm at it. I'd just need a fuel cell and some other small stuff for the stretch.

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
Re: Stretching my jeep
« Reply #1 on: 12/23/09 - 09:42AM »
You might want to get ahold of Steve 'Mr. Safety' Moore.  He did a body stretch on his TJ instead of moving the axles.  He added about 15-18" which allowed him to use an LJ/Unlimited top vs. his original TJ hardtop.  It came out great & the extended wheelbase makes the Jeep a lot less tippy.
Mo Printer

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 12/23/09 - 10:57AM »
If you see a stretch in your future it would only really make sense to build your links once to that length.  No point in doing the calculations more than once if you don't have to.

Just remember there are some other costs when doing it:
Fuel Cell
Fuel Line
Lengthen Drive Shaft
New rear brake line
New Ebrake cables
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 12/23/09 - 01:48PM »
Hell just stretch it. Those thing are just minor details.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 12/23/09 - 05:49PM »
I've pretty much figured it all up how I want to do it, just need to decide if I'm actually going to. RCI 15 gallon fuel cell and KORE rings, have the clayton truss and brackets, have johnny joints, and I'm getting steel at wheeler soon. I was planning on extending the frame like this guy did.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403448&page=3
This is the thread that I would be following if anyone is interested. I love the way his jeep came out, and pretty much want mine along the same lines.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #5 on: 12/24/09 - 01:08AM »
do it man! his build is awesome! i cant wait to get mine paid off to start stretching and cuttin it up.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #6 on: 12/24/09 - 02:05AM »

Shouldn't he add more fish plates ideally at every weld joint on the frame for added insurance :106:.
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 12/24/09 - 03:25AM »
Well he sold it a while back and as far as i know it's still going...so I guess it worked out for him. Not saying it wouldn't be a good idea.

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 12/28/09 - 01:25AM »
Okay I was wrong, he never sold it. He's just getting ready to put a D70 under it. And since he's stretching it farther, he offered to sell me that whole section in the pic, coil buckets, shock mounts, and bodymounts included. I'm thinking I'm gonna go for it...it would save me a lot of trouble.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #9 on: 12/28/09 - 03:31AM »
It would save some time, but Its an experience to build it yourself, plan it, cut it up, weld it up, etc etc etc Imho build it yourself, that's why you got a welder, learn to fab it up. But that's just me.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #10 on: 12/28/09 - 07:38PM »
I agree with Alex... but it's your time and money, do what you want.  :P
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
« Reply #11 on: 12/29/09 - 01:08AM »
It really depends on what he wants for it. If it'll end up saving me money I'm gonna get it.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #12 on: 12/29/09 - 03:04AM »
Do what you want man, its your rig. but just remember the saying; Built, not bought. :P

Offline Mr. Safety

• Club Members
« Reply #13 on: 01/ 5/10 - 07:57PM »
go 4 it-I added 15 inchs to my TJ. It was fun-works good. If you need help call me 417 827 2525

Offline Mr. Safety

• Club Members
« Reply #14 on: 01/ 5/10 - 08:36PM »
Cut TJ + 15 inch by Mr. Safety