Author Topic: no heat  (Read 3120 times)

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
no heat
« on: 01/ 5/10 - 03:13PM »
I just put in a new radiator, and thermostat. And now my heater sucks! The egine temp will get up to 210 like usual. But my heater blows cold. Could the stop leak stuff that I tried before replacing the radiator possibly have cloged the heater core? Help me out! Its cold!
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
Re: no heat
« Reply #1 on: 01/ 5/10 - 03:53PM »
Similar prob to my 2000 TJ.  Although sometimes it'll warm up and sometimes not.  I haven't had it long enough to get a good pattern yet.  It was way low on coolant so I filled that up.  I checked the windshield fluid last night... tank was frozen solid.  Dumbass PO...  It's in the garage thawing out after getting the engine up to temp and adding some deicer fluid to the tank.

The radiator in mine is a replacement Visteon (sp?)  So my heater core could be plugged up too.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #2 on: 01/ 5/10 - 04:47PM »
It has to be one of these things:

1. Not enough fluid in the radiator.
2. Thermostat improperly installed or stuck (stuck open will blow cold, stuck closed will overheat engine.)
3. your heater core is shot.
4. your heater core is plugged up by stop leak.
5. your heater hoses are backwards. did you take them off for any reason?

how much stop leak did you put in? just one tube isn't going to clog up your heater core, but if you added a bunch, I'd say it's possible. My guess is you got a bad thermostat. You can check it by taking it out and putting in some boiling water and see if it opens up. If it doesn't, obviously it's bad. You can also try flushing out your heater core; just don't do it full blast, be gentle.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 01/ 5/10 - 04:55PM »
The thermostat is in the right direction. I did not remove any heater hoses. I have poured in all the anit-freeze it will hold. And I used a full bottle of Barrs stop leak. So I guess I will remove the thermostat tonight and make sure its working properly.

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #4 on: 01/ 5/10 - 05:41PM »
Did you buy a Failsafe thermostat?  Could have got a bad one out of the box and it failed open.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 01/ 5/10 - 05:52PM »
I got the $6.99 one from Autozone.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 01/ 5/10 - 05:57PM »
Personally I think it's the stop leak, Reverse flush the system and see if it solves your problem if your certain on the thermostat.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: 01/ 5/10 - 05:59PM »
Is there any easy way to reverse flush it myself? Or do I need to take it somewhere?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #8 on: 01/ 5/10 - 06:01PM »
Auto parts sell kits, but most require a nonfrozen water hose of sorts!  Might be a PIA to come up with this week.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #9 on: 01/ 5/10 - 06:13PM »
Try Automart radiator shop.  869-2225.
Supposed to be really good and they don't rip you off.  Been in business for years.  I may take mine there since it's so cold and I don't have time to work on it right now.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: 01/ 5/10 - 06:19PM »
I'm at work till 8 tonight. So I'm just gonna pull my heater core out tonight and make sure it will flow water. Any tips for getting that out? And if that doesn't fix it ill look at the thermostat.

Offline map93heep

• Level 3
« Reply #11 on: 01/ 5/10 - 08:23PM »
Just undo your heater hoses at the firewall and place the nozzle in the bottom one flushes it out for a couple minutes. Then put the nozzle in the top one and do the same. Then reconnect the hoses and see. Just done flush it at full flow. Hopefully this will blow some of the gunk out of the heater core.
« Last Edit: 01/ 5/10 - 08:26PM by map93heep »

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: 01/ 5/10 - 10:24PM »
So watching the temp gauge on my drive home, I'm pretty sure the thermostat is working properly. So in the morning, ill be flushing the heater core. Thanks for all the help fellas! If anybody has any more suggestions. Post em up!

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #13 on: 01/ 6/10 - 09:57AM »
Don't know if you guys care or have tried, but I saw a post on Jeeps Unlimited about people using Vinegar or Dawn Dish Soap or Dish Washer Soap (to avoid the foaming) for flushing their system.  Personally, I would try vinegar before I would try any soap, but who knows...
Mo Printer

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #14 on: 01/ 6/10 - 10:43AM »
Hey, if you can clean out your coffee maker with vinegar why not your radiator/ heater core?