Author Topic: front U joints NEED HELP ASAP!!!!  (Read 3481 times)

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
front U joints NEED HELP ASAP!!!!
« on: 07/26/07 - 11:45AM »
can sombody point me to a site that can show me or tell me step by step how to replace my front axle U joints?

and what is the best "upgraded" joint that i can use without modifacation to my axle shafts?

thanks
B
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: front U joints
« Reply #1 on: 07/26/07 - 11:48AM »
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-1.htm

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ujoint1/u-joint-1.htm

You can't really upgrade to a good joint since most of them can't be driven on the street without lockouts.  The best stock replacement is a spicer brand joint.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: 07/26/07 - 12:11PM »
i just found the write up on stu's site as well.

thanks ToyotaGuy

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 07/26/07 - 02:20PM »
No problem, I don't use the press from HF I use 2 hammers.  It lets you figure out how to change them on the trail.  Just in case you don't want to go buy the press.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 07/26/07 - 08:28PM »
yeah i think im just gonna use a vise or BFHs.

do you think i will be able to break the axle nut loose with a long breaker bar?

Blueyellow

« Reply #5 on: 07/26/07 - 11:36PM »
Bradman And I replaced His and I'll tell Ya what after two Breaker Bars Bent and Us looking like two Monkey's F*&^%ING a Football Short Blows Witha  impact Wrench did it.... so My Thought is make sure you Have air a good Friend LOL
Al

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 07/26/07 - 11:44PM »
If you spray it down with a good amount of PB Blaster the night before, it'll be a lot easier to knock out.  Close the vise just so it's a red hair shy of the cap diameter, and have your buddy/spouse hold the shaft, and knock them loose with a big-a$$ drift pin, bolt, 1/2 x 4" extension, ball side of a ball-peen hammer, or anything that you can beat on.  (Keep it out of the gutter....)  DO NOT knock the top cap (the one you're beating on) all the way through, or you'll have a tough time lining it up to drive it out the other side.  It'll be rough as hell if you don't spray it down and let it sit for a while, though.

When putting it back together, just use the vise as a press.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline zuki

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 07/27/07 - 12:08AM »
oreilly tool rental, free tool rental just have to put a deposit down
94 YJ <br />03 Chevy ext 4x4 <br />88.5 samurai <br />82 chevy short bed 2wd <br />()_) ()_)-o-)_)

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #8 on: 07/27/07 - 12:15AM »
If you use a vise make sure you use a socket or something to only put pressure on the caps. I've seen people actually tweak the axle and the joint then not seat properly.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
Re: front U joints NEED HELP ASAP!!!!
« Reply #9 on: 07/29/07 - 08:30PM »
so has anybody ever had a problem finding joints to fit?!?!

i got some persision joints from o'reillys, 371 was the part#
it would not fit into the yoke of either the hub or the shaft. did some grinding on the joint and got it in after some work with the BFH but the cross was to wide and when i tried pressing the caps on it broke the cap off the other side!!!

then i went to autozone and got brute force brand and it wouldnt go in the axle yoke that i took with me!

help me please!!!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #10 on: 07/29/07 - 09:41PM »
You shouldn't have to grind your yoke to fit a stock joint.  I'm assuming this is for your 2000?  

Your best bet is a SPICER replacement which is the 5-760X which you can get from 4wheelersupply here in town.  These are stronger than the stuff you'll buy from autopart stores.

Here is the only one I found on the site but call and i'm sure they'll hook you up.

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/70883

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: 07/29/07 - 11:21PM »
i ground the actual u-joint. but i was gonna try The Drive Line shop for some spicers tommorow. but i guess i will stop by kevins shop first.

thanks alot for all the help toyotaguy

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #12 on: 07/29/07 - 11:23PM »
I couldn't get that part number to come up for O'Reilly's.  I would guess they either gave you a drive shaft u joint or just the plain wrong part.  Not like that would shock anyone who has ever shopped at a parts store.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: 07/30/07 - 12:04AM »
today when i took the part back, the guy behind the counter told me that there are pretty much only 2 u-joints for ALL 4 wheel drive vehicals, the one they gave me and a smaller one. and he looked over and over thru the book and the computer and assured me that it was the correct u-joint. he also is the one that told me to grind a notch in the joint and beat it in with a hammer!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #14 on: 07/30/07 - 12:07AM »
Well there are 3 that make up the majority of the axle joints in solid axle 4x4's.  I just don't see anyone thinking notching something that is designed to be a machined fit is a real answer.