Author Topic: Rear axle conversion  (Read 3635 times)

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Rear axle conversion
« Reply #15 on: 11/17/09 - 12:27AM »
It happens Alex.  It is a Chrysler 8.25" axle.

Austin (XJ42) is right, if you are willing it's really not that hard to swap ujoints yourself.  They are cheap (like $12 each) at O'Reillys.  I've done it on a trail with a socket, vice grips, flat blade screw driver, and a hammer.  
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline repins88

• Level 1
« Reply #16 on: 11/17/09 - 12:29AM »
Mine does have a rubber plug. and it is a 35. ok. problem 1 solved. now which is gonna be easier, swappin it or relacing the gears? any of you guys have one or want one or trade???

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #17 on: 11/17/09 - 12:31AM »
It happens Alex.

Austin (XJ42) is right, if you are willing it's really not that hard to swap ujoints yourself.  They are cheap (like $12 each) at O'Reillys.  I've done it on a trail with a socket, vice grips, flat blade screw driver, and a hammer.  
You can get Spicers too, if that is your thing, for the same price, just not at Oreilly's.  

Mine does have a rubber plug. and it is a 35. ok. problem 1 solved. now which is gonna be easier, swappin it or relacing the gears? any of you guys have one or want one or trade???

I just sold mine, but they are dime a dozen in the junk yards, and that will be cheaper unless you want lower gears.  You will probably want to pull the cover and verify the ratio before you buy one.

Offline repins88

• Level 1
« Reply #18 on: 11/17/09 - 12:33AM »
idk wut Spicers are. lol. Wut gears should they be? how hard is it to swap a rear axle?

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #19 on: 11/17/09 - 12:37AM »
idk wut Spicers are. lol. Wut gears should they be? how hard is it to swap a rear axle?

They're just a brand of ujoint/driveline part.  Used by OEMs I believe. 
Is your Jeep automatic, does it have a factory hitch, is it the 4.0?
Probably 3.55, but verify before you buy one.  Changing the rear axle is pretty easy, do you have some basic tools?  Actually, you could probably do it with two cresent wrenches, barring any serious problems.

Offline repins88

• Level 1
« Reply #20 on: 11/17/09 - 12:39AM »
yup auto, yup factory(small) hitch, yup inline 6, 4.0L. ive got just bout every tool i think i need, unless i need somethin special.

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #21 on: 11/17/09 - 12:43AM »
If the hitch is factory you may have 3.73, but there are no guarantees.  You'll need to pull the cover to know for sure.  You could count wheel rotations and driveshaft rotations, but 3.55 and 3.73 are close so it may be hard to tell using that method.

Offline repins88

• Level 1
« Reply #22 on: 11/17/09 - 12:47AM »
ok thanks guys. could u tell me step by step wut to look at and what to count to get gear ratio?
« Last Edit: 11/17/09 - 06:59PM by repins88 »

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #23 on: 11/17/09 - 11:25PM »
If you pull the cover there should be two numbers on the ring gear.  Divide the larger by the smaller and you should have your gear ratio.  There will probably be several numbers/letters/markings on the ring gear, you'll just have to look and see.  In the below picture it's the 47 and 11 numbers that determine the ratio.  This is a 4.27 ratio for example.
You can view this image larger if you go to my gallery.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #24 on: 11/18/09 - 12:24PM »
Thanks Austin, I never knew that... are the numbers always 2 digit numbers?
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #25 on: 11/18/09 - 12:56PM »
Ring gear tooth count and pinion gear tooth count is what those numbers are.  You could have a single digit number for the pinion tooth count.

Offline repins88

• Level 1
« Reply #26 on: 11/20/09 - 09:12PM »
So will it have all these digits and such on just one side of the ring? I took the cover off, again, and it had all those and a 22 and a 97.On your pic your ring said dana on it too. Does that matter? I had the guys at Dodge run my vin and it said i should have an 8.25 And heres a pic of the weld job. looks like the gears?

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #27 on: 11/21/09 - 12:34PM »
Those number don't work out to any common ratio.  If they ran your VIN, I believe they should be able to get your ratio from that.  If not keep looking for numbers.  The Dana is just a brand yours will not say that.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #28 on: 11/21/09 - 12:37PM »
I dont think chrysler marked ratio.  If you have cover off count teeth, just mark starting point with grease pen.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #29 on: 11/21/09 - 02:57PM »
I dont think chrysler marked ratio.  If you have cover off count teeth, just mark starting point with grease pen.

Didn't know that.  Just goes to show how mismanaged that place is, down to the smallest detail.