Author Topic: Locker for front  (Read 1898 times)

Offline dewayne

• Level 2
Locker for front
« on: 11/16/09 - 12:45AM »
A locker for my front axle is next has anyone heard anything about the Yukon Zip locker?
Have heard good and bad about ARB .Was thinking going electric but now leaning to air.Any sudgestions.
Dana 30 for JK 27 spline
Goodness this is a pricy hobby.

Offline xj42

• Level 3
Re: Locker for front
« Reply #1 on: 11/16/09 - 12:54AM »
There are a couple threads on Pirate about them.  I think the consensus is that the ARB is tried and true and the zip locker is the new thing.  That being said the Zip is cheaper than the ARB, enough to give you something to think about.  Another thing to consider is customer service.  I've never had to deal with either company, so I can't make any statements there.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #2 on: 11/16/09 - 04:19AM »
I'm not sure of the stength differences in the TJ 30 and the JK 30. But maybe consider a super 30 kit with an ARB.

What size tires are you going to be running? And do you have a locker in the rear?
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline dewayne

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 11/16/09 - 10:56AM »
I'm not sure of the stength differences in the TJ 30 and the JK 30. But maybe consider a super 30 kit with an ARB.

What size tires are you going to be running? And do you have a locker in the rear?
I'm running 35's on it and no rear locker yet want the front locked first,to help the front end climb up .

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 11/16/09 - 11:21AM »
I have 35's on my XJ and a Lockright in a D30. it works flawlessly and is an inexpensive alternative to your choices. DO NOT do a Super 30. Your R&P becomes your real weak link and in the event you do break a shaft replacments are over $500, get a set of 27 spline CHromo shafts and you have stockers as replacements. In my case I removed the XJ shafts with the smaller UJoints and installed TJ shafts with the larger UJoints and now have my stock ones as trail spares

Offline dewayne

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 11/16/09 - 11:31AM »
Yes I'm still running stock axles but did change gears to 4.88's.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 11/16/09 - 12:14PM »
Yukon makes the zip locker which is considered an equivalent to a first generation ARB.  From the tech I've seen on them from Yukon I would run one.  However if you have to warranty it for any reason it is a slow process.

ARB is tried and true, there are no issues.  ARB's warranty has always been great as is their customer support.  I've had customers damage pieces during install or maintenance and ARB is always willing to get the what they need.

Both require the same air pressure, etc. 

Remember that either of them are full carrier replacements which will require your gears to be resetup.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline dewayne

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 11/16/09 - 05:47PM »
Didnt think of that Aaron.Could you help with that when it comes time? I have not EVER  :106: done that.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #8 on: 11/16/09 - 07:13PM »
I can.  What SUCKS horribly about JK is that it's a crush sleeve design.  So for sure you'd need to order a new pinion seal and at least 2 crush sleeves (hard to judge).

Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline dewayne

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: 11/16/09 - 10:47PM »
Thanks a bunch Aaron.I just dropped the Jeep off to get fitted with rock sliders,so in a couple of weeks I 'll order the locker.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #10 on: 11/16/09 - 10:57PM »
Let's get together and talk before you order one.  Don't forget you'll need either a compact compressor (just runs locker) or another air source.

Offline dewayne

• Level 2
« Reply #11 on: 11/17/09 - 12:17AM »
Okay will do.You going this weekend to SMORR?Or e'll get together later.Thanks again

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #12 on: 11/17/09 - 12:23AM »
I'm planning on it, however it's still up in the air.  A friend maybe coming in town which would have me occupied, and not sure if I'm working or not yet.

Either way you know how to get a hold of me.

Offline GHOST00TJ

• Level 3
  • Lary, Andrea, Alexis and Chase
« Reply #13 on: 11/20/09 - 05:14PM »
I did the front locker (D44) first, realy havent had it long enough to judge if frnt or rear is better first. I went this way because the rear is a LSD so better than nothing. Agreed with the ARB being around for awhile and tested out well.