Author Topic: Seasonal Maintenance  (Read 965 times)

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Seasonal Maintenance
« on: 11/22/09 - 04:07PM »
Well for some of us it's that time of year again, so I thought I would start a thread since I've been asked a lot of "what kind of maintenance" should I be doing questions.

Since colder weather is upon us there are a couple that come to mind that are any vehicle.  Check your coolant to make sure it can take the colder winter temps (my jeep wasn't there).  Also is your battery is dragging it's going to lay down as it gets colder. 

Diesel guys you should replace both if one is bad!

Since a lot of people haven't done it check you differential fluid.  With all the water/mud our jeeps see off road at least once a year you should drain and change the fluid in your axles. 
  For most axles (open diffs) recommended fluid is 80W 90 Gear Oil.
  For Rubicons recommended fluid is Royal Purple 75W 140. 

Also check fluids in transfercase and transmission (these are often over looked by people). 

My current maintenance project is the transmission mount (mine was destroyed), and some pics/ write up are likely to follow.

Please add any maintenance questions or advice anyone has.

Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
Re: Seasonal Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: 11/22/09 - 07:34PM »
Grease up all joints that have a zerk fittings(Not just seasonal). Keep some de icer and a scraper with you.
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline Dai-San

Re: Seasonal Maintenance
« Reply #2 on: 11/25/09 - 01:56PM »
I'm having trouble with shifting on a Ford C6 Transmission, so checking the vacuum modulator and adjusting the bands would fall under Seasonal Maintenance.