Author Topic: Jeep TJ 1st gear shake  (Read 4127 times)

Offline r7955

• Level 1
Jeep TJ 1st gear shake
« on: 11/25/09 - 11:34AM »
Jeep shakes when starting in 1st gear, worst when its just warming up, but seems to last longer lately.  It pulls fine, even in too high of a gear.  Any ideas?
Clutch doesn't seem to be slipping, but it engages/disengages at the end of the pedal throw.  Idle is fine.  4 cylinder & 5 speed.
Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: 11/25/09 - 11:36AM by r7955 »

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
Re: Jeep TJ 1st gear shake
« Reply #1 on: 11/25/09 - 12:02PM »
Check the transmission mount.  Maybe have pulled apart and is letting the trans/engine twist and flop when taking off in 1st.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #2 on: 11/25/09 - 12:56PM »
Could also be hotspots or warpage on your flywheel, which will mean it needs replaced or resurfaced.  Your clutch could also just need adjusted.
« Last Edit: 11/25/09 - 12:57PM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline r7955

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 11/25/09 - 01:04PM »
I checked the transmission mount, and it seems to be tight as a drum.

Thought about the flywheel hot spots...  Would it be best to have the clutch and all of that replaced at the same time?  I've only owned the Jeep for a short while so I don't know if it's ever been done with 110 thousand miles now.

How do you adjust the clutch?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 11/25/09 - 01:07PM »
Is the jeep lifted?  It may actually have nothing to do with clutch or transmission so much as driveline angle.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline r7955

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 11/25/09 - 01:12PM »
Nope, not lifted at all.  its stock height.
If I'm very meticulous when I let the clutch out and do it very slowly, the shake isn't as bad.  1st & reverse are the only gears that I've noticed this problem.  And like I mentioned earlier, it got better once it warmed up, now it happens more often.

Maybe completely unrelated...
But there has been a squeaking sound that has been happening more often as well.  Can't seem to find it, but it seems to be from underneath the front seat area.  It's hard to track it down.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #6 on: 11/25/09 - 01:24PM »

Thought about the flywheel hot spots...  Would it be best to have the clutch and all of that replaced at the same time? 

Absolutely. If you replace the clutch, have the flywheel resurfaced or replaced if needed when you do.

as for how do you adjust the clutch? I can't explain it, maybe Aaron can?
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline r7955

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 11/25/09 - 01:41PM »
And all of this has been progressing in roughly the last 2 weeks, with 2nd gear seeming more difficult to get into.
« Last Edit: 11/25/09 - 01:51PM by r7955 »

Offline r7955

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 12/ 3/09 - 01:14AM »
Changed the transmission fluid today, but haven't really driven it to see how the shudder feeling is going.

Anyone come up with directions to adjust the clutch?

Thanks

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #9 on: 12/ 3/09 - 12:14PM »
Here a good write up on replacing the clutch: http://www.4x4xplor.com/clutch.html

As for just adjusting the clutch; It might explain it in a Haynes or Chilton manual, but have someone depress the clutch while you lay under the jeep and look to see what moves. Not really sure on your Jeep but there may be some linkage with an adjustment bolt on it... Also it could be hydraulic and need to be bled. I don't really think the shudder is a big deal; the Rubicon I had would do it about 80% of the time... Of course I always took off in 2nd gear because 1st was too low and that may have been part of it. Best thing to do is just have a certified mechanic look at and diagnose it for you, shouldn't cost much for that.