Author Topic: Strating Issues  (Read 1227 times)

Offline ddkr

• Level 1
Strating Issues
« on: 11/29/09 - 01:30PM »
When I try to start my 88 Jeep Wrangler 4.2 5 speed the starter just grinds and almost engages. I have had the starter checked and they said it is good. I replaced the battery. The gears on the starter are in good shape. The ones on the flywheel are showing a slight sign of wear. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :deadhorse:

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Strating Issues
« Reply #1 on: 11/30/09 - 01:54PM »
Sounds like the starter is not shimmed properly to allow the teeth to engage the flywheel fully. Have you recently taken it off? Also, has this jeep been sitting for a long time? Are you able to turn the motor manually? Have you tried to pop-start it?
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline ddkr

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 11/30/09 - 02:34PM »
Was starting fine and running fine. Just had it in the shop for a clucth issue however it started with no problems. Until It did not start right off and now I have no turnsignals and radio half ass works. When radio does work and i either turn on brights or put into reveverse or try and use turn signals raido cuts out. My amp gauges reads only 8 and I know battery is good. Is it possible to have a short in stearing colum not allowing me to get enough power to starter?????

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #3 on: 11/30/09 - 02:50PM »
How do you "know" the battery is good?
Sounds like the starter solenoid isn't getting enough juice to fully engage the starter.

Have the battery load tested, not just voltage tested.  And you can get a bad "new" battery off the shelf.

Good luck.

BTW, Red Top Optimas are only $134 at Sam's Club.  $185 at Pep Boys now.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...