Author Topic: Question about a tranny swap!  (Read 2906 times)

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
Question about a tranny swap!
« on: 12/ 4/09 - 12:15PM »
I have recently decided that I want overdrive in the automatic transmission that I put in when I put it in, therefore the th400 I have will not work. With that said I am trying to figure out which transmissions will be a direct bolt up to my amc 258 I6, as well as my D300 transfer case. I dont want to spend a $hit load of money on adapters. I did a search on pirate and it sounds like the AW4 - if you get the correct year will bolt up and will work, but because my 258 is carborated the electronic shifter will not work. They then went on to say the 999, 727, or 700R4 might be a better fit.... I am just wander if anyone else has done this swap, and if so what did you do?

Thanks for you help!
EMAW

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Question about a tranny swap!
« Reply #1 on: 12/ 4/09 - 12:38PM »
Aaron gave me a TH999 when we traded jeeps. According to him and everything I've read, it will bolt right up to my I6 and D300 with no adapters needed. I haven't done it yet; but will at some point; and hopefully everything will work without a hitch.  :17:
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #2 on: 12/ 4/09 - 03:06PM »
I'm pretty sure Ron and Greg Smith have done the swap but don't visit the forums much.  I think they used a 727 or 999.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 12/ 4/09 - 03:21PM »
Why?  You don't have deep gears.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 12/ 4/09 - 04:02PM »
Well I dont think 3.30's are very deep - if that is what you were refering to!?
EMAW

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #5 on: 12/ 4/09 - 04:06PM »
Exactly, you have highway gears and don't need OD.

Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 12/ 4/09 - 06:57PM »
Right - but I want an automatic, and if I have OD then I can have deep gears(trail) and a highway gear(OD) - best of both worlds!
EMAW

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 12/ 4/09 - 07:58PM »
You can, downside is most that won't need an adapter (jeep) are electronically controlled and you'll need a stand alone comp (AW4).

Offline OzarkMountainCJ5

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 12/ 4/09 - 10:30PM »
Actually you can run the AW4 off of toggle switches with no computer.  You still have to shift it but no clutch will be involved, just flip  a switch or rotary knob or whatever else you wanted to do.  I have been trying to find some paddle type switches so I could have paddle shifters on my steering wheel for it.
68' CJ6 in progress
55' Willys Wagon

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: 12/ 4/09 - 11:10PM »
You have to shift it for all gears or just for OD????
EMAW

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #10 on: 12/ 4/09 - 11:39PM »
All gears one through four, OD is 4th, The switches control the shift solenoids.... I believe, unless he has a different setup? I think Its cool Ozark mountain cj5 how you have that setup.
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline OzarkMountainCJ5

• Level 2
« Reply #11 on: 01/ 3/10 - 04:14PM »
I am actually planning on doing a pair of paddle shifters on the wheel to shift and then a toggle for torque converter lock up.
68' CJ6 in progress
55' Willys Wagon