Author Topic: belly up skid fab  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Red Oak

• Level 1
belly up skid fab
« on: 08/23/11 - 10:06PM »
Ok, been lurking around for a while, time I finally ask... I wan't to do a high clearance skid under my jeep, (05 rubi LJ) I've found some decent threads about making one, but get lost when it comes down to angles on the drive line.  provided I install the 1.25 BL and a 1 inch MML, should I be able to get flat between the frame rails or at least close?
Stupidity got me into this mess, Why can't it get me back out?!?

Offline gjgoodale

• Level 3
  • ZMBR8D
Re: belly up skid fab
« Reply #1 on: 08/24/11 - 09:55AM »
I'm looking to do the same thing to my LJ.  I just spoke with another member of the club who did this to his 06 LJ and after the body lift and engine mounts you just need the skid plate.  From what I've looked at on-line, it appears the Rubicon's require a specific skid so make sure you confirm that when purchasing.
Check the OJT Facebook page<br />http://www.facebook.com/groups/ozarksjeepthing/

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #2 on: 08/24/11 - 10:30AM »
FWIW: I did mine without any body or motor mount lift.  I'm running a Rubicon Express 5.5 LA kit, and the skid plate bolts up against the frame (good clearance).  If there's a down-side to this set-up, it's that the skid is also the transfer case mount, so to drop the skid, you'll have to prop up the transfer case.  No problem on the lift, but a hassle on the trail (trust me, I know!).  You're welcome to come look at my set-up if you want (Steve 827-5397).
Mo Printer

Offline Red Oak

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 08/24/11 - 05:43PM »
the thread i was looking over had the transfer case sitting on a mount that was riding between and attached to the frame rails, so it was supported when removing the skid.  would love to go with a LA lift but that's just not in the budget yet.  i have access to good metal working gear, so i'd rather make this skid than purchase. 

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #4 on: 08/25/11 - 03:21AM »
I have my setup bolted to a cross member and can drop the skid easily. It might not be a bad idea to do a sye while your pushing everything up and changing driveline angles...
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline Red Oak

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 08/25/11 - 06:41PM »
i was hoping that the 1 inch MML and having the fixed rear yoke would get me by, so you are saying i may have to figure sye/ cv shaft into my budget (or lack of)? 

Offline mrfast

• Director of Photography
  • Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 08/26/11 - 12:10AM »
I have a RC belly up skid and gained a full 2"----but I still have a couple of inches hanging down from the frame. No drive line problems, but I did do the 1" mml and 1 1/4" body lift.
« Last Edit: 08/26/11 - 12:15AM by mrfast »

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 08/27/11 - 11:45AM »
You don't need a slip yoke eliminator (SYE) if your jeep is already a rubicon as you have a fixed yoke. 

However you would be well advised to have adjustable upper rear control arms to set PROPER pinion angle and avoid vibes under acceleration.

I agree having a crossmember to support your trans/xcase is a better design then the factory jeep of having it bolted to the skid plate, but either way is workable.  Be realistic how often since you have owned your jeep have you dropped your skid?

I do mine way more than most at twice a year for maintenance, and mine isn't on a crossmember on this jeep.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato