Author Topic: Hard Top vs Soft Top Questions  (Read 1267 times)

Offline Ultramag

• Level 2
Hard Top vs Soft Top Questions
« on: 09/18/11 - 11:09AM »
I am thinking about getting another Jeep and considering a 4 door this time.  The last one I had was a '07 Unlimited (2 door) with a hardtop and now I am looking at a 2007 Unlimited (4 door) with a softop.  Wondering:

1. Is it quite a bit louder inside the Jeep with the softop, then a hardtop, while running down the road?  I just remmeber the older Jeeps that I had, with softops and they were pretty loud inside but not sure if the new tops are any better?

2. Also, during the winter, is it harder to keep them warm inside and do they lose alot of inside heat around the seams?

3. Likewise, are they harder to cool in the summer?

Obviously the top will be down most of the time but this will also be my daily commuter and I will do quite a bit of driving in it.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Hard Top vs Soft Top Questions
« Reply #1 on: 09/18/11 - 12:06PM »
The newer jeeps are much quiter than the old ones but still noisy.

You will lose heat and ac more in a soft top but they still do an adequate job with both unlike the old jeeps.

Downside is a 4 door hard top isn't easy to take off solo, especially when the jeep hits the 37"+ tire mark.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Ultramag

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 09/18/11 - 12:31PM »
Thanks, looking at one with 35's and softop now but if I get one with a hardtop then I figured I would just add a hoist to the garage ceiling like I did before, which makes it easy to take it off and put it on by muself.
« Last Edit: 09/18/11 - 04:23PM by Ultramag »

Offline bigjeep2

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 09/18/11 - 11:43PM »
I just got my current jeep a year ago and it has both tops and I love having the soft top on in the winter it is much warmer and also has a rear wiper and defrost which is really handy. I also like that the hardtop is a little more secure as I have a fear of someone yanking my nav.

Also since I run with my soft top in the summer my ac has no problem keeping up. I can notice a difference between my current one that has tinted windows and my old jeep which was untinted. I would say the tinted windows make a huge difference in the summer.

Nice thing about buying a jeep with a hardtop already is a soft is usually cheaper and easier to find. I have started talking to my girlfriend as she is wanting to get a 4door within the next year or 2 and we have decided that it will have a hardtop but hopefully both.
Yeah I gots a jeep, and yes I understand. I also have a car.