Author Topic: Ticking sound when I start my Wrangler...  (Read 5739 times)

Offline RoughSilver01

• Level 1
  • '01 60th Annv.
Ticking sound when I start my Wrangler...
« on: 11/ 6/11 - 08:41PM »
Ok guys, I just thought I'd ask to see what you guys thought before I had taken my Wrangler to a local mechanic to see what the problem was... I just had purchased an '01 Wrangler Spor w/ a 4.0 & it has a 107k on it, it runs well, but whenever I start the Jeep it starts a ticking sound that stays continuous idling, it goes away whenever going down the road but when you push in the clutch slowing down, the ticking comes back... is there any thoughts of what could be the problem maybe?! I've had other people tell me that it could use an oil treatment from Lucas possibly but then I've heard some guys thinking that I'm just needing to get rod bearings replaced, when I was going to get an inspection, another guy thought that it could be lifter but he said it didnt sound as if it was in the upper end of the motor...going off this that it has a ticking immediately after I start it, but goes away whenever going down the road but then comes back, is there any way that someone may know what the problem could be that I could tell someone that I think that I may know the problem?! Thanks alot guys, I hope to meet all you guys here soon, I'm new into the whole Jeep thing but it sure seems great guys!! Thanks alot!!
                                    ~ Brandon..
'01 Wrangler 4" Rough Country lift 33" M/T

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
Re: Ticking sound when I start my Wrangler...
« Reply #1 on: 11/ 7/11 - 12:29AM »
the timer in stuck. just don't push the # 5 on your cell or it mite go  :107:

just my 2 cents
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline freds_94

• Level 3
« Reply #2 on: 11/ 7/11 - 06:03PM »
my 04 does the same thing, especially louder when the weather is cold, i was told it was a piston,
trying to raise a teenager is like nailing jello to a tree

Offline RoughSilver01

• Level 1
  • '01 60th Annv.
« Reply #3 on: 11/ 7/11 - 06:55PM »
Well guys, I appreciate the input but I'm just really discouraged with what to do about the problem!? So Fred, what do you think would be causing the problem with it? Is there a way to prevent the whole problem of making the 'tick' kinda lighter on the ears?! I just dont want anything worse to happen so then something WORSE DOESN'T HAPPEN but I'd kinda like to prolong the motor from going!!   :(  Yet of course I'll do what I gotta to keep 'er goin'!!  :)

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 11/ 7/11 - 08:52PM »
It's not just you two, I've owned a dozen 4.0 jeeps and they all seem to do it.  Loud lifters are usually they cause.  Leaking exhaust is often another, noises up there are often very hard to distinguish.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline mrfast

• Director of Photography
  • Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 11/ 7/11 - 08:59PM »
If the rod bearing is knocking it won't last long! How is your oil pressure? If it's a piston skirt or wrist pin knock it will last a long time, but usually when a motor gets good and hot the piston knock will go away or become faint. You can pull a spark plug wire off a plug (to kill the cylinder) and see if the knock goes away or changes pitch and at least know which cylinder is the culprit! 

(on a 2001 Jeep 4.0 I don't know if you have plug wires or coil packs)

Also it may just be a bad or sticky lifter, worn cam--etc. etc.!

Just my .02 cent! 8)

Offline RoughSilver01

• Level 1
  • '01 60th Annv.
« Reply #6 on: 11/ 8/11 - 09:32AM »
I was just kinda curious bein' on here, I didnt know if there would be anyone on here that would be wantin' to do some motor, not for free but just tryin' to save a lil' bit of money on it..I just thought I'd go out there & ask to see if anyone would know what they're doing by trying to go in & get it fixed for me....let me know if ya could but thanks anyways guys!! Really appreciate ya helpin' out!!