Author Topic: CARB ISSUES  (Read 890 times)

Offline BIGGRHAMMR

• Level 1
CARB ISSUES
« on: 07/11/06 - 02:26PM »
I was at Disney this weekend, and noticed the one jeep that was with our group that was not fuel injected had a horrible time climbing the hills.  I could tell he had adjustment problems, but considering I'm getting ready to build my first jeep, I don't want to make a bad mistake right off the bat.  Is this a common and unfixable problem, or is there a remedy?  Also, I'm thinking about the SOA type lift, to start off with, what traction bars do I use (or where do I get them), and is this also a bad mistake to start out with?  Thanks to those who reply!

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
Re: CARB ISSUES
« Reply #1 on: 07/11/06 - 02:37PM »
Yes to the common carb problem, but it also has to deal with 3:07 gears with 33" tires.  I know, because it was me that had all the problems.  I am also getting a ton of ignition/fuel problems on flat ground while accelerating now, so i am going to begin with the filter, & de-bug my fuel supply.  If that fails, i will do the ignition etc, etc, etc.  Blue Yellow runs a carb with almost zero problems, but he's tuned for climbing & has 4:56s.   to sum it up, carbs are ok, but if you have the cash & are building from scratch, go with FI.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #2 on: 07/11/06 - 08:36PM »
as far as carbs I cant help,I do know that toms carb seems to dieled in. Holly hake a off road carb now and I think they have a 400cfm for 6 clds and small v8's.
 SOA. is the only way to go in my opinion. odds are if you dont do it know after wheeling it for a while you will want to do anyway so save the cash and do it right the first time.
 Track bars, just build your own if you have the tools and ability, if not sams off road sells one pretty reasanble Johns 4x4 has one also I like his desing better but more money.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Blueyellow

« Reply #3 on: 07/18/06 - 12:39AM »
For what it's worth. I spent 160 Bucks on my New Carb and I think I have figured it out. I am sending a Hell of alot more fuel Through the Carb than I need to. That may be why it performed so well at disney. I Love my setup . I Got a buddy to do the nutters bypass and she has worked flawlessly till I had a Bad carb , Once I replaced it  I had no Problems. The best bet is go Fuel injection, If you have the option . It Just elimates alot of the problems you'll have with Carbs. They are Fickle Just like women
AL