Author Topic: ummm crap....rust  (Read 3133 times)

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
ummm crap....rust
« on: 03/16/08 - 08:47PM »
Pulled the carpet in the back of the xj today because i was planning on bed lineing it and was gonna start the prep work.  This is what i found under the carpet on the drivers side.  Any idea on how to fix this or if its even fixable.  Keep in mind i got no welder no cutter and no shop to do it in.
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh290/x6xdemonx6x/Rust%203-16-08/
Dude......I don't think thats gonna buff out.<br /><br />That ain't rust...Their custom lightening holes.

Offline last boyscout

• Level 1
Re: ummm crap....rust
« Reply #1 on: 03/16/08 - 09:06PM »
dude you're in over your head.  most 4x4 guys wouldn't try to fix it.  they would just wheel the rust out of it.  to fix it you're talking about a lot of sheet metal a metal break and mad fabrication skills.  sorry if this sounds like a death sentence.
STEP 1: BUILD IT
STEP 2: BREAK IT
STEP 3: REPEAT

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 03/16/08 - 09:16PM »
I'd have to agree. 

Welding is going to be required and XJ's are unibody and at somepoint the rust issues your having are going to start weakening the structure if they haven't already.  So time to pickup some fab skills or look for other options.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 03/16/08 - 09:25PM »
If you had the tools, time, and a place to do the work that thing would be a prime candidate to do something wild to.

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 03/16/08 - 09:41PM »
Its not so much the the lack of know how thats stopping me just the equipment.  My main problem with welding is that i have a tendency to make some nasty booger welds that hold but just look nasty as hell.  From what i can tell its not weekened it to much only part that is of real concern is where its rotter over the frame rail i knocked most the rust out of it so you can see it inthe pic. the passenger side with the exception some surface rot isn't bad but if i dont fix the holes in the quarter its gonna end up just like that
Dude......I don't think thats gonna buff out.<br /><br />That ain't rust...Their custom lightening holes.

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 03/16/08 - 09:41PM »
If you had the tools, time, and a place to do the work that thing would be a prime candidate to do something wild to.

lol its gotta be street legal but other then that what did you have in mind

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 03/16/08 - 10:04PM »
thats odd for some reason i wasnt able to see last boyscouts or yjs post till just now and i didn't even get anything saying they replied.  Anyways just thought of something i know at the autobody school i went to in wyandote they would let people bring in vehicles to have us work on for the price of parts anyone know if otc will let you do that?

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 03/16/08 - 11:54PM »
I'll trade someone the york compressor out of the jeep for the work if they wanna help

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 03/17/08 - 04:32AM »
i think i figured out what i am gonna do basiclly knock out all the rust (beleave it or not i came accross pictures that were worse while researching it) i can treat it then use some kind of seam sealer to kind of hold it in place then hit it with self tappers every 2 inches or so paint and call it good may throw a coat or 2 of fiber glass mesh over it also for more strength

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: 03/17/08 - 03:01PM »
lol its gotta be street legal but other then that what did you have in mind

Something like this.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=946360

Offline HYRYSC

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 03/17/08 - 06:05PM »
Just remember that you can still build it up as much as you want, use good quality parts, and when it bends or breaks in two one of these days when you get off camber, haul it back, strip all the good parts off and put them on your next XJ.

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #11 on: 03/17/08 - 07:32PM »
more or less thats what had i in mind but a new rig to bolt everything to won't come till tax time next year if that.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #12 on: 03/18/08 - 01:03AM »
I just sold a Cherokee that had a floor board in it, pretty much like your pictures.. I cut out as much rust as I could, and ground down all the surface rust, tack welded in some 16 guage sheet to fill in the holes and then sealed it with some seam sealer, the good seam sealer. If you can get that floor sealed up to where it can stay dry on the inside, it will last a long long time. As long as the holes are there and the moisture is coming in.. sitting under your carpet and stinking up your rig... it will continue to rot away till there ain't nothing worth repairing. You just need to get it dry and keep it dry under your carpet or floor liner and that will slow that rust down considerably.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #13 on: 03/18/08 - 01:50AM »
if that the way you are going to repair it. go and get some POR15 to put on the rust first then seam sealer.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #14 on: 03/18/08 - 02:12AM »
I just sold a Cherokee that had a floor board in it, pretty much like your pictures.. I cut out as much rust as I could, and ground down all the surface rust, tack welded in some 16 guage sheet to fill in the holes and then sealed it with some seam sealer, the good seam sealer. If you can get that floor sealed up to where it can stay dry on the inside, it will last a long long time. As long as the holes are there and the moisture is coming in.. sitting under your carpet and stinking up your rig... it will continue to rot away till there ain't nothing worth repairing. You just need to get it dry and keep it dry under your carpet or floor liner and that will slow that rust down considerably.
  lack of a welder to use is the reason why i am using selftappers instead as far as the carpet goes its all out of the backso it will be able to dry out alot better dang rain today is kind of throwing a wrench into the works on repairing and what sucks even more is i still have to drive in it.