Author Topic: Who Built Your Roll Cage?  (Read 3023 times)

Offline last boyscout

• Level 1
Who Built Your Roll Cage?
« on: 03/ 9/08 - 12:47PM »
If my family, work, and weather allows my Cj 4.0 swap will be done in a few weeks.  But, I'm not allowed to play hard without a cage.  I have a Cj and early Yj roll bar to build off of.

So, what did you do for your cage?  After market weld in or shop built?  I want a full front hoop not an add on to the Yj windshield spreaders.  I also plan on bolting my seats to the cage.   So, the cage has to go to the frame.  My tub is a rust bucket.

So, what did you do, like, or would have done different?  Thanks and hope to see everyone on the trail soon,  Aaron
STEP 1: BUILD IT
STEP 2: BREAK IT
STEP 3: REPEAT

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Who Built Your Roll Cage?
« Reply #1 on: 03/ 9/08 - 01:09PM »
Personally I wanted something different then the "off the shelf" cage.  So myself and another member (who has bender) bent mine up. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #2 on: 03/10/08 - 01:01AM »
my current jeep has a toys by troy cage in it. came with the jeep. my last jeep had one that myself and the same person Aaron was referring to built
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 03/10/08 - 02:37PM »
my last jeep had one that myself and the same person Aaron was referring to built

I used that guy too!
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 03/10/08 - 03:17PM »
That guy sure has been doing a lot of cages for club members LOL.  In fact I think there is another in the works is there not?
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline last boyscout

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 03/10/08 - 10:03PM »
i give.  who's this guy?  and when can i get an appointment? lol

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 03/10/08 - 10:23PM »
Why yes.  That guy is supposed to do my cage some time in the near future.  That is, if that other guy doesn't burn through all my **** on his cage.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 03/10/08 - 11:17PM »
I haven't touched your tubing....

To original PO:  He's a club member who works out of his garage on some special projects.  As far as when, IF he is interested he'll contact you and I'm guessing JUNE @ the very earliest.

Offline last boyscout

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 03/11/08 - 07:10PM »
thanks guys,  keep the cage input comming.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #9 on: 03/12/08 - 12:24PM »
i give.  who's this guy?  and when can i get an appointment? lol

HAHA  It is me.  I have built about 6 cages for guys in the club.  TJ's to CJ's.  I normally only take stuff that is trail rigs or 3rd vehicles and mostly for people that are willing to spend the time to do the grunt work.  I am really busy right now with Aaron's dovetail and then I have 3 others to do rockers on.  Plus, 1 cage to do.

What are you wanting?  Full cage or front tied in?  DOM or HREW?  Seats tied in?  What are you willing to do or pay? (I don't work for free anymore)  My wife is pregnant and I am still finishing mine which also factors in.  LOL  I probably couldn't get to it until June or July. 

There is another option that if you buy a kit cage - I could weld it in for you.  I have the stuff just no time right now.

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
« Reply #10 on: 03/13/08 - 09:45PM »
He does do good work.....I've got rear bumper/tire carier, and rock sliders built by him that have worked great.  The sliders have paid for themselvs over, and over, and over.....
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #11 on: 03/14/08 - 12:47AM »
Ya Brad to bad you didn't choose that exo option... would have saved you at least 1 windshield. 

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #12 on: 03/14/08 - 01:55PM »
He does do good work.....I've got rear bumper/tire carier, and rock sliders built by him that have worked great.  The sliders have paid for themselvs over, and over, and over.....

Yeah - but eventually those tubes are going to need to be replaced! LOL

I try to build everything as though it is going on my Jeep.  That is why I am slow sometimes. That and I do have a regular job!

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
« Reply #13 on: 03/15/08 - 12:11AM »
Ya Brad to bad you didn't choose that exo option... would have saved you at least 1 windshield. 

So true, but I wouldnt have a great trail dammage storie then would I?
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #14 on: 03/15/08 - 12:14AM »
Very true man.... of course its when Gwin is telling it that it can't be a good story from your perspective but makes it SO MUCH BETTER FOR US!