Author Topic: questions about XJs  (Read 1664 times)

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
questions about XJs
« on: 07/22/06 - 06:05PM »
well i am already wanting to buy another jeep! i think i want an XJ this time though.

my questions are:
    are there any years that are better than others?
     how feasable is getting 35s on an XJ?
     does lifting one require an SYE and CV?
     when did fuel injection start?
     rear axle?

this will be pretty much just a trail truck but will see the streets some times and for sure in the snow (if we ever get some again). im wanting to spend no more than $4,000. what will that get me? :biggrin:
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
Re: questions about XJs
« Reply #1 on: 07/22/06 - 08:02PM »
Check out the red one that's in the "for sale" board.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: 07/22/06 - 09:47PM »
that one might be a little more than i want to spend, but i have considered it.

Offline slurveysTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 07/22/06 - 11:52PM »
If you want a capable and dependable trail rig it is worth the money.
Unfortunately you couldn't buy everything and install it for what I am wanting for the XJ. I will get you more pics on Sunday. If you want to look at it call me, my number is in the ad. I live in Brookline just west of Springfield.

Scott
1999 Jeep XJ, stock with HP30 and C8.25. I'm sure more will come as the money comes.

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 07/24/06 - 11:03AM »
XJ's have always been one of my favorites.  That was my last trail project that I never finished.  The biggest problem with real hardcore wheelin is the unibody construction.  A good cage with eliminate allot of the unibody weakness but the suspension points will still need to be beefed.  Look on NAXJA for ideas and issues.

For your questions:

1.  Stay with the H.O. motors.  93 and up.
2.  35's is attainable with 4.5 inches of lift and a "little trimming" - I have done it.
3.  SYE and CV are not always required but ......
4.  See answer #1.
5.  Some XJ's were offered with a 44 rear but I wouldn't pass up a good deal just for that.  They are  easy to change and the track width is not that "off" that you can't replace both pretty resonably.

Check between the front and rear doors towards the top of the door post to look for cracks.  Check the top edges of the rear hatch opening to see if it is cracked.  These are the most notorious areas for the the unibody to fatigue and will show the cracks first.  

You will be able to see how much the bodies flex when you park it flexed and get the door open but it won't shut. LOL
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
« Reply #6 on: 07/24/06 - 08:38PM »
:bsflag:   A little trimming?????  I've seen the pics of your last rig...... :bsflag:  :beerchug:

Brian, I hope you get the one your looking at!  GOOD LUCK!
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline BrandXJ

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 07/24/06 - 10:51PM »
I've been into my project XJ now for a few months. Things to do if you're wanting to do 35's as I'm doing is get a good 5.5" to 6.5" suspension lift. Don't have to have long arms, but they are recomended with that height.
 Dana 44 rear with a locker will hold 35's, but D30 up front is pushing it if you wheel it hard. That much pressure on the pinion and u-joints WILL go boom. 33's on a D30 with locker is max.
 33's with 4.5" lift will still require trimming because you will still get into the fenders. 35's with 5.5" to 6.5" and you still have to trim.
 Any XJ will do as long as the motor and tranny are good. Check those points as Brad stated also the suspension points for cracks. Pull the carpet out as soon as possible, floor pan is notorious for rusting out 'cause water gets trapped under the carpet.
 Frame stiffeners are good to shore up the unibody. TnT Customs, Detour USA, and others fab some good ones or you can make your own with some 2" angle iron. These need to be plug welded.
 Sorry for the bandwidth as these are only suggestions, but come after much research and mistakes and wasting money on parts I can't use. Got any questions let me know in a PM. These are only a few ideas and MUCH more info to be had by the hard core XJ guys. They are incredible rigs!
 Also try www.XJdb.com.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: 07/24/06 - 10:57PM »
WOW!!! thanks for all the info guys!!

as of now my plans are to sell my new Envoy and buy the XJ on 37s that is in the for sale forum. i hope he still has it by the time i sell my rig!  keep the info coming guys!

thanks!!!

Offline Terry K

« Reply #9 on: 07/26/06 - 04:03AM »
I love my XJ (its a 90), however, its a bear to find parts for it, namely the radiator.  I've got an overheating problem, which has been traced back to the coolant overflow bottle, and I'll be ****** if I pay $70 for one part, let alone a shroud for it.  

Of course, if I go through with my plans to go to CA, I'll have to part with it, but I need to keep it up and running as much as I can.  

Thoughts (or takers!?)

Offline JEEP Lovin Cowgirl

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: 07/26/06 - 05:51PM »
I absolutely loved my XJ it was a 96 2 door sport.  I miss it so much and I wish I had not parted with it.  I love it more than I do my 01 Grand Cherokee Limited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What does that say about it?? I had a 3" BDS lift and 31.5 Timberline LTs (or ATs can't remember) on it and I ran it like there was no tomorrow.  I wish I could get my hands on another one!!!!!!!!  Deffinately go with an XJ (if I can't have another XJ, I want a YJ maybe a TJ)
Amy~
"75% of the planet is covered by water.
The rest is covered by Jeep!"

www.jordanessentialsrep.com/9274
Jordan Essentials~Bath, Body & Spa