Author Topic: Is this too much $$$  (Read 1191 times)

Offline jeepusman

• Level 1
Is this too much $$$
« on: 07/27/06 - 11:52PM »
A friend if mine offered me his 97 TJ 5 speed, 4 cyl. It has 128,000 miles on it, and he wants $5,000. It?s pretty much stock. Has a rebuilt transmission, doesn?t leak any oil and doesn?t have any problems, (other than cosmetic). Is this a good deal?

Heres another question, Is a 2" body lift worth buying? What will it do for you?

Offline ericday

• Level 1
Re: Is this too much $$$
« Reply #1 on: 07/28/06 - 12:59AM »
I like to use Ebay to research prices.  The cheapest comparable 97 on there now is $4800 but the next highest one is $6000.  

You can also use kbb.com to price it out.  I got a stock 97 to book for about $5000 so it's not a good deal, it's just the price of a stock 97 Wrangler.

If you are going to wheel though I would pass on the 4cyl.  It will hold its own but you will always be wishing you had the 6cyl.

Body lifts are usually used to get a little bit more height to mount a slightly larger tire.  Body lifts don't do much for the offroadability.  For example, it won't help the Jeep flex any.  Sometimes they can affect other things too.  My 93 YJ had a hard time shifting into 2WD after a body lift and some grinding was in order.  But of course there are plenty of people that don't have any problems at all.  I guess it just depends on what you want it for.
img]http://myweb.cableone.net/eday/images/banner.gif

Offline jeepusman

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 07/28/06 - 01:06AM »
Thanks for the anwsers!
  I test drove it the other day and it didnt have much power on hills, I couldnt get above 3rd for the most part on 65. I probably dont want to see how it does on a hill thats off-road.

Blueyellow

« Reply #3 on: 07/28/06 - 08:29PM »
what are the years for the YJ I didn't think they make a square headlight after 95 or 96 Correct me if I am wrong??

Offline keegan

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 07/29/06 - 11:12AM »
haha yea i think he meant 97 TJ...last year on YJs was 95...no wrangler at all in 96..
Keegan

Offline JEEP Lovin Cowgirl

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 07/30/06 - 08:18PM »
Yup 95 was the last year of the YJ...the red beast that the x significant other had.....loved it....but yeah they are for the most part gutless but they are great on trails...
Amy~
"75% of the planet is covered by water.
The rest is covered by Jeep!"

www.jordanessentialsrep.com/9274
Jordan Essentials~Bath, Body & Spa

Offline Jeepdog

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 07/31/06 - 04:51PM »
I have that same jeep with 33s on it for the most part it is slow on the hiway but out on the trail it seems to do alright. I wish i had lockers for it and more power on the road. No real complaints on the trail so far. Any jeep is better than nothing at all and more power is always nice. :cool: