Author Topic: I'm Fred  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Fred

• Level 2
I'm Fred
« on: 12/25/08 - 01:32AM »
Well for those who know me I am Fred and I just got my hands on a new (1992) jeep. It has square headlights. I have been on the site for quite some time but had a TJ which I sold when I moved here from TN

Of course it is a 1992 XJ, 126,xxx miles
Runs SUPER Strong
extra tranny and Transfer case
6 1/2" Rusty's Long Arm lift
SYE
2 sets of 35's one is General Mud Grabber 's mounted on 15X10 Aluminium Eagle Alloy's the other are ProComp MT's but they are retreads on 15x8 Steelies
Brand new MP3 Player Head unit
SUPER CLEAN interior
Rusty's Front Winch Bumper
D44 Rear with Aussie and Alloy USA Axles
4.56 gears
1 ton Steering conversion

And I don't even know what else yet because I haven't dug much.

This will not be my DD but it will get driven especially to and from trails until I get another trailer. It will be at TB May for the Jamboree if anyone wants to see it first hand

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
Re: I'm Fred
« Reply #1 on: 12/25/08 - 02:50AM »
Whats up Fred, thats a good look'n xj you got. Were you the xj driving down Glenstone tuesday? thought i might have saw you?  :106: see you on the trails

Alex
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 12/25/08 - 04:28PM »
Glad to see your back in a jeep.  I saw that one for sale and thought it was very good price for all that has been done to it.  Congrats on the purchase.

Aaron
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 12/25/08 - 06:40PM »
Well as requested by some here are a few more pix. Interior pic isn't very good because I left my keys inside and was to lazy to walk out to get them. Anyway:
front interior

rear interior

Long Arms

Front on

Side View

other side

rear

rear D44

It also has a factory gas tank skid. A little flimsy but better than plastic.

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 12/26/08 - 12:31AM »
Looks good. Hope to see you out on the trails with it...
2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 01/ 7/09 - 12:47PM »
That is a pretty nice XJ.  But with all the modifications on it, I bet you didn't even notice that there are two extra luggage rack bows!  I have no idea why that sticks out to me.

I have a soft spot for XJ's.  When you want to trim it, let me know.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 01/ 7/09 - 08:48PM »
The original owner did that for the spare tire rack he made for the roof. I am goign to rip all that off and build a foor rack into an Exo cage for it.....well eventually

Offline Fred

• Level 2
New Mods have begun
« Reply #7 on: 01/ 8/09 - 09:34AM »
I will get some updated pix as soon as I get a chance but I have been makeing mods to the new jeep already, small as they may be they are mods.

First I installed a new tub rear bumper to match the front. Well I was unhappy with how it mounted so I added some tubes for extra support and added additional mounting points. I also had to weld end caps onto this bumper. I filled the bumper with expandable foam and JB Weld, then welded the caps. Well then I didn't like how low the rear corner panel sat below the bumper tubes so I trimmed about 3 inches off them and folded them under, then welded everything back together. Once that was done for ashtetics (to make it look better) I smeared a nice sealing coat of silicone in there. Since my weldeing isn't perfect yet I did that to fill the welds and make it look cleaner. Well then I removed the stupid rubber kick panel on the rockers, cleaned them up and masked them off so I could paint everything black. It really makes the jeep look meaner and like I said I will snap a few pics probably this weekend.

Once I get the rear bumper finished up and re-installed I want to figure out a way to clean up the front fenders, buy some rocker guards and get a front locker. Then I will start gathering materials to start my Exo (That'll be fun)

This is the bumper I put on

It is a Daystar but I have not been able to find it anywhere online.

The only part that sucks is it mounts useing the 8 stock (in my jeeps case 6) bolts and the 2 bolts on each side going into the "frame" What I did to remedy this was I am adding a 18" piece of flat stock behind the main tube attaching it to the bumper useing 3 pieces of tube. I will the bolt the flat stock to the "cross member" and put another piece of flat stock behind it basicly "sandwitching the "crossmember" Then I am adding a second piece of flat stock to the frame mounts to tie in a 3rd frame bolt on each side so it will mount just like a hitch. When I finish it will have a total of 15 bolts holding it on spread over the entire back of the jeep.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?...t=corner+panels
This is the trimming I did

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 01/ 9/09 - 04:53PM »
OK Pix as promoised.

This is the overall when I got it

And the overall now

As you can see I removed the trim molding and claened it then painted it black. And as you may also see I trimmed the rear corner panels to have less to come down off of rocks onto
drivers side

And passengers side

then I changed the rear bumper from what was on there (stock with a hitch)
to this one

and on the jeep

But not before modding it some to add to the mounting method and recovery ability (these are the welds I was practicing for. I did these today after 2 days practice and my wack-a-weld was a success)

The tubes on the left and right that are circled were not there. I added them because the bulk of the mount was on the bottom tube but the hitch is on the top tube so it kind tied them together. The circle in the middle is wehre I added a piece of flat stock welded to the bumper via tubes. I put a two additional bolts through the "crossmember" there.

and heres another pic of the Rusty's front winch bumper

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: 01/15/09 - 11:28PM »
Well UPS man came yestarday with a winch cover. Then Mail man came today with some rock lights and UPS man came back tonight with a winch. I will be busy this Sat. I gotta change my TPS, install my winch, install and wire my lights, maybe install and wire some offroad lights for my bumper, likely install my cup holder that should be here by then. All I will be waiting on now is the rock rails