Author Topic: Body Lift questions  (Read 2554 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Body Lift questions
« Reply #15 on: 09/ 4/06 - 09:28PM »
A few knuckle busters, scrapes and scratches later... The body lift has went well... as expected the linkage was a bit of a job, that's really the only thing I got hung up on for awhile. I would most definitely recommend having a couple JeepBuds to do anything like this with. I was solo on this one and several times it would have been nice to have someone around that had done this kind thing before. I know a few people offerred, but because of my short notice, noone could make it. I do apprecaite the offers though. The instructions that came with this body lift were vague to say the least and kept jumping back and forth between the different years, which kept confusing me, but nothing so confusing that common sense couldn't prevail over.

The lift is done, I haven't tested things out as far as flex.. or even drove it  yet... I am hung on one last thing... My fan shrowd will not match up without hitting the fan. It makes sense, it bolts to the radiator which bolts to the body... which is 2 inches higher now. I got a couple options I figure... trim out the bottom of the shroud with a dremel... or a motor mount kit to bring the motor up higher. Seeing how I have to be at work tommorrow and need my Jeep to get there... it looks like I will be trimming or taking it our completely for now.

Back to the garage....
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #16 on: 09/ 4/06 - 09:43PM »
You should have some shroud relocation brackets that drop the shroud down 2" to still match up with fan.  If memory serves there are 6 of them and mine were gold anodized.  

Sorry I couldn't make it by to give you a hand.

Aaron
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #17 on: 09/ 5/06 - 12:36AM »
I offered to help you and couldn't make it because I was held hostage at my folks.  Literally too.  5 Sheriff's and a couple of State Troopers told me no.  

Sorry.  Plus, I didn't get your PM until tonight.  I don't normally check the web on weekends that much.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #18 on: 09/ 5/06 - 12:46AM »
Aaron you are awesome, I was ready to cut my shroud and I thought I should check back on the forums here. I re-read through the instructions again and it mentioned some brackets for mounting the radiator. (I must have missed that when I was getting in a hurry to finish up. :bigeyes: ) Anyway I used them, it worked. I finished up and took the Jeep for a drive.  It goes in and out of 4 hi and lo just fine, real smooth, smoother than before I think... (I'll determine that Saturday at Seymour) Everything seems to be in order, and it should be cause I took my sweet time doing it all. It drove just fine, but I'll know more about that driving back and forth to work this week. As far as I can tell tonight the road handling characteristics have not changed that much. 2 inch wheel spacers will go on tomorrow and will improve any instabilty, if any, this body lift may have caused.

I spanned this job out over yesterday and today... on and off. All in all I think I probably spent about 12 hours on it. If I had to do it again I believe it would take alot less than that.

Anyway, thanks for everyones input.. I love this club. Next trail run the
ROOT BEER is on me.  :agree:

Jimmy
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #19 on: 09/ 5/06 - 12:48AM »
Glad I could help, wish I could have made it by to actually help.  LOL

Aaron
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #20 on: 09/ 6/06 - 09:30PM »
Can't wait to see what you've got now!  I'm jealous.  I'd love to put a body life on next and then bigger tires.  I'll have to wait a little more.  I hate wating.    :bowdown:
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"