Author Topic: Having starting issues - 89 YJ  (Read 946 times)

Offline NixaYJ

• Level 1
Having starting issues - 89 YJ
« on: 05/25/07 - 08:33PM »
I'm a n00b at the stuff - bear with me please.

The past several times I've driven my jeep I've had a few start up problems.  

Started last Sunday morning - I had been camping with some friends.   That morning it started up fine and I let it run for about 10 minutes.  Then it sat for about 30 minutes and we drove down a gravel trail to go fishing.  I was parked on a steep incline for about 2 hours.  Came back, it started right up and as I was turning around on the hill it died and then had alot of trouble firing up.  

After about 6 tries it fired up, I drove about 300 feet and it died at the bottom of the hill.  It then took about 10 tries to get it going.  I tried giving it gas, not giving it gas and a friend suggested keeping the gas pedal down the entire time while trying to start it up.   It finally started and I didn't have any other problems that day.  

Tonight I got home from work - need to run to Walmart.  It starts up fine in the garage, I have to give it some gas to keep it going when it's cold though.  It died at the stop sign but started up quickly.  Walmart is about a 3 minute drive.

I was inside Walmart about 20 minutes.  Come back out - starts up fine.  When I came to a stop waiting for the river of people coming out of Walmart, it died and took quite a while to get it going again.

During these times trying to get it started there seems to be quite a bit of gas smell.  Once it starts up there is a nice puff of blue smoke from the rear.

I usually pump the gas pedal 2 or 3 times when I'm starting it, regardless of whether it's cold or warm.

Any thoughts?  Am I simply not starting it properly?  

Thanks,
Monte

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
Re: Having starting issues - 89 YJ
« Reply #1 on: 05/25/07 - 11:27PM »
sound like your float is sticking. the needle mite need to be replace.
also in sound like you are running rich if you smell gas when it dies.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.