Author Topic: Community Garage Work on Your Own Jeep  (Read 1727 times)

Offline EXTkAISER

• Level 1
Community Garage Work on Your Own Jeep
« on: 01/ 8/07 - 12:31AM »
We are in the process of putting up a six bay garage. We are going to
have a lift stall and Paint booth. I am going to see what everyones thoughts are on opening a stall after hours and weekends to work
on your own car. We are just throwing out some ideas. Like a 20 dollar
bill for 4 hours to work on your car or truck. 50 for the whole day. 75-100 for a weekend for the paint stall. We have engine hoists, fork lifts, mig welders, Model 3 Tube bender and plasma cutter. It always seems someone needs something worked on or a place or tools to do it. So let me know your thoughts. Sign a waiver if you hurt yourself you do not sue me just like going to the offroad parks. We will be finished with it around the end Feb. We are located in Springfield. Let me know if you would be interested in us offering this.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Community Garage Work on Your Own Jeep
« Reply #1 on: 01/ 8/07 - 12:41AM »
Sounds like a great idea to me.  Will there be things offered like welder and torches or plasma?  If so is there going to be a higher charge for use of expendable materials?
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline EXTkAISER

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 01/ 8/07 - 12:49AM »
We will have to work out the details. The gas on the Mig has to be filled and wire has to be replaced. Tips on the plasma have to be replaced. So we can work out the details. This is all on the drawing board right now. If there is enough interest we will proceed. Also offering car hauler use and discounted rollback prices to get your rig up there to work on it. If it takes more than a day. We will offer weekly outside storage in a secure fenced lot.

Offline extreme machines

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 01/ 8/07 - 03:39PM »
Me and my friends do something like this except we all just pay rent and utilities + 5bucks a month. The 5$ is used for things like toilet paper, lights, paper towels etc. It's usually about 100 each per month. We just rented an old chevy dealership and figured out how much space each would need to figure out how many could split the rent. Right now there's only room for 10 of us and we have a waiting list.

It really helps that we're all friends for the most part and each of us a special talent. 1 paints, 1 does body work, 1 was a state champion welder, I have built car audio systems and tinted windows for 24yrs. and the rest are either mechs. or can lift heavy objects.

I think we're the lucky ones, we've been in the same building for 5 yrs and started with just 4 of us. We also do group buys for the ones that want to. We bought out a used tire shop to get the mounter and balancer, sold the tires and put 67$ profit in each of our pockets. We've bought a Pro tools tube bender and dies. We've even got a sign out front and now we're working on a weight/workout room.

Good luck. If it works out it'll be awesome. I can only imagine what happens when it doesn't. JIM

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #4 on: 01/ 8/07 - 04:05PM »
sounds like a country club for your jeep....i like it.
They had a by hour or day garage in Phoenix...worked really well, but the guy did a lot of custom exhaust work on the side....the one problem with that is that a guy could rack up alot of hours on a project....if he paid monthly rent for a bay...kinda like the second guys idea...it might go alot smoother....heck im thinking about getting on that waiting list.
I like jeeps!!!

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #5 on: 01/ 8/07 - 04:15PM »
Hey Ryan, extreme machines is out of Oklahoma down around Disney.  Would be quite a drive for you...
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline DrLewall

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 01/ 8/07 - 04:19PM »
Thats a SWEET deal there Extreme Mach....sure wish there was sumthin like that here..dang all the luck..sich and tired of changing oil in the dirt!
DrLewall
"Doc"

Offline junkman306

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 01/ 8/07 - 04:52PM »
I think it's a great idea and we've discussed it over on rogersvilles and a few other sites. The only thing would be insurance. I'm not sure who would insure you or the building, especially if some jack ass (no one on here, just in general) crushes his hand or something.
1986 Dodge Ramcharger

Offline extreme machines

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 01/ 8/07 - 05:58PM »
That's why I say we're lucky. We (3 of the original 4) won't let anyone in we don't all like or think they may cause problems.  We are more like a club than anything else, although I do sell stereo equipment and tint windows on the side. Everyone has their dayjobs and use this as a place to hang out and build stuff. Another reason we're lucky is, since everyone has they're own keys, we haven't had a prob with theifs, only tools that weren't put back in the owners box.

One of the guys at the shop said "Most clubs want a tree house, we wanted mainstreet frontage."

If you're going to work yours like a business I think that could work also. When I was in the Air Force yrs ago they had a base hobby shop that sounds like what you're describing and it came in handy. JIM

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #9 on: 01/ 8/07 - 06:11PM »
I have acualy talked this over with a few peps on several acosions, I think it would be a great buiss. put in a snack bar and lounge  u wrench country club for gear heads. I had every thing but the $$$ figured out  :agree:  good luck I hope it works out for you
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #10 on: 01/ 9/07 - 11:43AM »
Quote from: "LibertyPatriot"
Hey Ryan, extreme machines is out of Oklahoma down around Disney.  Would be quite a drive for you...

Dang, that would be a long drive...in that case im all for a local one.   I could always needing a lift.  "U wrench country club"....thats sounds great. :beerchug:   maybe some pool tables in the lounge....itd also be a great place to have the meetings....stuff to do before and after the meet.
I like jeeps!!!

Offline j2sax

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #11 on: 01/ 9/07 - 12:48PM »
Count me in!  Let me  know when this opens as I am having to delay getting the 2 post for my SHop.  

I am desperately looking for a place to park some vehicles or I am going to have to start scrapping/selling stuff I have collected but not had time to get to.  I have been paying $30 month for some parking space at a local shop but he is selling out and now my neighbor listed her house and I have nowhere to take these rigs!  

Even without storage, this is a great idea!  

Jesse
Jesse, Near Sparta, MO FSJ/AMC Freak<br />Wag w/ 6" lift 360/727/229 (208 soon) <br />2 J10s, 2 J20s, 4 Door J20 Project, Lots of Wags<br />73 Commando on Wag Frame, 79 AMX, Several Eagles

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #12 on: 01/ 9/07 - 01:30PM »
How many rigs?
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline j2sax

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #13 on: 01/ 9/07 - 02:36PM »
I have probably 6 that could stand a new home, at least until I get the Commando on the Waggie frame which is blocking me from some other projects.  Once I get those moved, I can get some stuff repositioned in my shop.  I got some pallet racking to put stuff up in.  My main problem inside my shop is too many engines!  5 360's, 2 4.0's, 3 258's, 401, 2-304's!  Need some, probably need to sell some to!  

I don't have to put all the vehicles at one place.  

Thanks for the response, either way!
Jesse, Near Sparta, MO FSJ/AMC Freak<br />Wag w/ 6" lift 360/727/229 (208 soon) <br />2 J10s, 2 J20s, 4 Door J20 Project, Lots of Wags<br />73 Commando on Wag Frame, 79 AMX, Several Eagles