Author Topic: Found my knocking noise!  (Read 1727 times)

Offline mrfast

• Director of Photography
  • Level 4
Found my knocking noise!
« on: 08/ 3/14 - 01:22PM »
Every once in awhile when I was wheeling somewhere, id hear a knocking noise underneath my Jeep on the driver side underneath my seat. I was also getting the old dreaded death wobble that seemed to come and go---which was very odd. I checked and checked all the attachment points on my control arms, my ball joints, tie rods, etc etc. and I would lube everything while I was under there. I never found anything loose. A few days ago while I was checking everything after a wheeling trip to SMORR, I finally found the problem

[/UL]

[URL=http://s125.photobucket.com/user/mrfast/media/rebuildingcontrolarms003_zps7d6a1ec6.jpg.html]

Not much left of the passenger side upper control arm bushing!-----The driver side was actually worse!

After a quick call to Rough Country and $28 plus shipping I got 2 rebuild kits---ordered on Tues and received them on Thus. Took about 20-30 mins per side to remove and rebuild the ends

I could've replaced the ends with "real Johnny Joints" but after 5 years and many, many wheeling trips, I'll just stick with what I got. (for now)

I'm going to go ahead and rebuild the rest of them in the next few weeks---only 6 more to go.

« Last Edit: 08/ 3/14 - 01:26PM by mrfast »

Offline Martinez

• Club Members
  • Level 4
Re: Found my knocking noise!
« Reply #1 on: 08/ 4/14 - 09:39AM »
At least it was something easy and nothing serious!  5 years isn't too bad for what we do!
Take it out and play with it!

Offline Cook5

• Club Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 08/ 4/14 - 07:37PM »
I was thinking the same thing.  5 years given the abuse they take is pretty good.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 08/10/14 - 09:47PM »
Always nice dealing with a company that stocks replacement parts!
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Rich

• Club Members
« Reply #4 on: 04/30/15 - 03:55PM »
Nice photos , mine are the same and its good you posted ,so the rest of us can take a look!