Author Topic: Toyota Axle Swap  (Read 5776 times)

Offline xj42

• Level 3
Toyota Axle Swap
« on: 12/12/07 - 02:10AM »
I'm looking into swapping in a Toyota axle in the rear of my Jeep.  The reason being, I can get a 4.10 geared axle, with selectable locker, with at least the strength of a Dana 44, cheaper than other alternatives.  I think I'm going to try and find a 95.5+ Taco axle with the elocker, WMS(60").  I would use an older 8" axle but the WMS(58.5") is close to the minimum that I could use.  Problem with the newer axle is I have to go to a 6 bolt pattern, where as I could get the same pattern I have now with the older axle.  Has anyone here done a swap like this?  What do you think is the better option keeping the bolt pattern with spacers/new wheels with less backspace, or different bolt patterns with an adapter for a spare, or possibly get the shafts redrilled?  Any opinions/advice on this would be appreciated.

Here are some links for axle info for those of you interested.
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170933
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=33123

Offline xj42

• Level 3
Re: Toyota Axle Swap
« Reply #1 on: 06/12/08 - 03:49PM »
Well I went ahead with this swap, and thought I'd do a little write up on it and share my experiences.
Start with one TRD axle out of a Tacoma or a 4Runner.  Mine was from a 4Runner so it probably had more brackets to cut off due to the linked rear suspension.  These axles are available in 3 gear ratios, to my knowledge, 4.10, 4.30, 4.56.  I was luck enough to get the 4.30 ratio, it's a long story how this happened, if you want to know about it ask me sometime, because I don't want to type it out.

Once I cleaned it up it was time to weld on perches and shock mounts and set pinion angle.

After some paint it was ready to go in.  Note the flange instead of the yoke.

Here is what I had to do to use my current drive shaft.  I have a XJ front shaft in the rear, this a 1310 U-joint to Toyota flange.

The next thing I had to tackle was the brake lines.  I bought some lines from O'Reillys and bent up my own.  Since they come in certain lengths I had to add extra bends to eat some length.  I then used my regular brake line and attached it to the breather port on the housing.  This is how the stock lines work, but I had to drill and tap the housing so I could use the original bolt.  The breather locations are different from my stock axle and the Toy axle, the Toy breather location is more centrally located so I may need a longer flex line.  I then had to get an adapter to work with the 3/16" ends to go to the 10mm fitting.  Here you can see the junction block and breather line, you can see the motor that runs the locker.

I drove it like this for a while, but my shock mounts were way to high and would cause my shocks to bottom out over a little bump.  So I made some shock mounts that would drop them down a little bit.  I needed about 1" more before I hit my bump stops, I got about 2" from the new dropped location.

Comparison shot.

In this picture you can see the new lower location of the shock mount, the break line adapter, the back off plate I had to make for the ABS sensor, and my ghetto bump stops.

After relocating the shock mounts I don't bottom out anymore.
That's about all it took to get it under the Jeep and make it driveable.

My thoughts on this swap:
Lower gears are good, this thing drives more like stock.
The brakes on the Toy axle are bigger, I can really tell a difference when stopping.
I don't currently have a parking/emergency brake, I am going to work something out eventually and I'll try to update this when I do.
I don't have the locker wired up yet, once again I'll try to update this when I do.
For the price of everything, I ended up with a stronger axle with lower gears, better brakes, and a selectable locker, for less than I could have bought a selectable for and had it installed.  I'll try to put a parts list together of what I used.

Let me know what you think, whether I did it right or wrong, good or bad.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #2 on: 06/12/08 - 05:59PM »
are you going to be able to find a matching 4.30 gear set for your front HP30?
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 06/12/08 - 08:13PM »
I tried to find a matching gear set for the front but couldn't.  I have a LP30, 2000 XJs and later all do I believe.  There is a 4.27 gear set for a CJ Dana 30, which is different and won't work.  Even if I did I would still have mismatched bolt patterns.
However, there are 4.27 gears available for a Dana 44, and the Wagoneer bolt pattern matches.  I have a Waggy 44 that I will put under it in the future.

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 09/ 7/08 - 12:36AM »
I finally wired this thing up a while ago.  There are a ton of diagrams floating around and I used the one I felt made the most sense.  Here are some pics.
Here is the "harness" I made.  I had an extension cord I sacrificed during the ice storm and figured I could use it to save some money.  I used some relays that I bought a long time ago for a stereo project that I never finished.

I brought the cords in right near the ebrake, which still isn't functional.

Here is the whole mess before I hid it under the console.

This is the finished product, I couldn't find a switch with the configuration I needed that matched my others so I bought one off ebay, it was cheaper anyway, that is why it doesn't match.

The light comes on when the locker is engaged, which takes a second of driving if everything isn't lined up just right.  I drove around with it engaged to see what it was like and it definitely is a different experience.  It "pushes" you around corners if you get on it and you can hear the tires scrubbing, it doesn't bark unless you turn real tight but you can hear it.  Overall I'm satisfied with how it turned out. 
Now if can just get that 44 finished.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #5 on: 09/ 7/08 - 12:56AM »
Nice work man.  Give me a shout if you need any help with the 44. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato