Author Topic: Exhaust Shop or DIY?  (Read 1462 times)

Offline last boyscout

• Level 1
Exhaust Shop or DIY?
« on: 06/ 7/08 - 11:18AM »
The 4.0 swap into my 79 Cj7 is done except the exhaust. She fired on the first turn of the key!  NOW, I need to finish the exhaust so I can run her.  It comes down to try and DIY or pay a shop to do it right the first time.  On a recommendation I talked to Bill @ BNR in Ozark. Using my cat and muffler w/ all new hangers and tubing fully welded his high quote (to cover his a**) was $200.  He said that he could probably do it for less but that was his sight unseen quote.

So, to those of you that have done a motor swap in your Jeep what do you think?  Is it worth the money to have a pro install it?  Do I mess with the cat?  I?ll through a check engine light w/out the #2 O2 sensor.  I?m going to buy a scanner so the check engine light doesn?t bother me.  Right now, and w/ gas prices, it?s a trail only rig.

I could always leave out the cat reinstall the Cj exhaust, and have a pro bend a new down tube w/ bung for the #1 O2 sensor.  I have all the pieces from the donor and recipient.  Does any one know a good shop or ?person? who can affordably handle this?  I don?t what to blow my budget this close to completion before I finish my roll cage.
« Last Edit: 07/14/08 - 08:02PM by last boyscout »
STEP 1: BUILD IT
STEP 2: BREAK IT
STEP 3: REPEAT

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
Re: Exhaust Shop or DIY?
« Reply #1 on: 06/ 7/08 - 04:31PM »
call Sheldons muffler. they are on college st just east of scienic
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: 06/ 7/08 - 06:38PM »
x2 for Sheldon's.  He did mine from ex. manifold to tip including a new cat for around $200 last year.  And, if i were you, I'd install the 02 sensor.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #3 on: 06/ 7/08 - 07:46PM »
I took my jeep to A-1 custom muffler and brake and they did a great job and really helped me save some money, but call the one on fort and sunshine. sounds great too :)
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline last boyscout

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 07/14/08 - 08:00PM »
you guys were right again.  went to Sheldon's. great work!  he couldn't install my used cat (it's state law.)  two of them knocked it out in 45 min.  they put in a second O2 bung so i can run the down steam sensor.  i'm going to put a simulator spacer in to avoid the "bad cat" code.  he also left me enough clear pipe that i could splice in my cat if i need to.  thanks again.

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #5 on: 07/15/08 - 01:25PM »
good deal man. so you gona be ready to wheel soon?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline last boyscout

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 07/15/08 - 05:48PM »
close, so very close.  i still have to fab up my dash for the xj speedo cluster, and put in my cage.  it's been so long i hope i still remember how to drive it.