Author Topic: should i get a spool  (Read 1081 times)

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
should i get a spool
« on: 08/28/08 - 11:35PM »
i plan on getting a dana 44 for the rear this fall. i know i want a locker, and a spool is by far the cheapest and most simple option. but will it be too much for a daily driver? and how bad will it eat up my tires?

my next option is the Ected E locker. so if anybody has either of these on a daily driver let me know the pros and cons of each.

thanks!
B
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
Re: should i get a spool
« Reply #1 on: 08/29/08 - 01:15AM »
I have had a spool in mine for a little over a year now, and like it.  I drive it to work quite a bit.  It's predictable & was a cheap & easy to install option.  Spools don't load up, so they won't jar your rig or pop, but the tires will bark on sharp low speed turns like parking lots or around town, but not bad. 

I can't tell you how fast it will eat your tires up, though.  I work less than 6 miles from home, and i don't drive it on long trips.  I think i took it to my uncles in Camdenton once, John's a couple of times & Chadwick once or twice.  I've probably gone a total of 2k miles since i installed it.  You'd get more benefits from a front selectable than a rear.  Your other option is just throw in a Loc-rite in the rear.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 08/29/08 - 01:20AM »
It will wear your tires faster, but then again so will a locker over being open.  I personally like them for predictability in all weather.  I dislike my detroit in rain and especially in snow. 

Everyone has their own opinion of a spool, however I've never heard of anyone regret a spool, but they do have a bad rep.  I offered to trade my detroit to a friend for a spool in my 60 thats how much more I like them.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 08/30/08 - 01:14AM »
go with the spool. i welded the 44 i had and drove it to utah and back with no problems a spool will do the same.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.