Author Topic: Tow Rig  (Read 3506 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Tow Rig
« on: 02/22/07 - 08:10PM »
Finally picked myself up a tow rig... It's 1999 K1500 Burb.... 4x4, third seat, rear air ... all that jazz. sweet deal, nice ride, couldn't pass it up. Was thinking of going 3/4 ton... but for what I want this 1/2 ton will more than suffice.

Guess you could say I'll be looking for a trailer now.

EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Tow Rig
« Reply #1 on: 02/22/07 - 08:23PM »
Looks good Jimmy.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #2 on: 02/22/07 - 08:27PM »
thanks for all the advice on tow rigs Aaron... it helped me to make an educated decision on my needs... therefore I'll give you a ride in it sometime.
 :agree:  It sure is a straight driving machine... rides like a buick compared to my Jeep that I have been driving for 2 years now.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 02/22/07 - 09:07PM »
Good job, glad you got it.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline JacksFork

• SMORR
  • Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 02/22/07 - 11:57PM »
Good choice jimmy........never can go wrong with a CHEVY :cool:

BRANDON
SOUTHERN MISSOURI OFF ROAD RANCH
http://www.smorr.net

CHECK OUT OUR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE!!
http://smorr.net/facebook

Offline farmboy

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: 02/23/07 - 10:55AM »
Congrats Jimmy,  Now you can really beat the crap out of your jeep now that you can tow it home when it breaks.  haha  :applaudit:
Be quick to listen, slow to speek and slow to anger!!

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: 02/23/07 - 11:01AM »
word of caution, watch the rear end closely as pulling a trailer alot, they tend to want to wear out quickly.  a 6 luck semi float rear is a perfect upgrade to end those worries
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #7 on: 02/23/07 - 11:22AM »
Quote from: "junkyard"
word of caution, watch the rear end closely as pulling a trailer alot, they tend to want to wear out quickly.  a 6 luck semi float rear is a perfect upgrade to end those worries

Let me guess.. you just happen to have one to sell too?  :brows:
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #8 on: 02/23/07 - 11:41AM »
Quote from: "junkyard"

What the heck are you telling him to put in?  I'm assuming you meant a 6 lug semi floating 14 bolt.  

For no more than 1 jeep he's going to be towing the 10 bolt will hold up fine.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #9 on: 02/23/07 - 12:22PM »
word of caution, watch the rear end closely as pulling a trailer alot, they tend to want to wear out quickly. a 6 luck semi float rear is a perfect upgrade to end those worries

Thanks for the advice junkyard... and I'll keep that in mind, but it's gonna HAVE to do as it is for now. The big tow isn't gonna happen till July. Which will be when I tow it out to Colorado... and perhaps Moab since this year I will only be 5 hours away.

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: 02/23/07 - 01:52PM »
i was saying a 6 lug semi float 14 bolt

pulling 1 jeep with a trailer wil wear that 10 bolt rear out pretty quickly.

i am replacing the one in my escalade because it is wearig them out.

i am NOt telling him he has to and that it will break the first time he tows with it. i AM saying that if he tows alot with it to check it. i towed a ton with my escalade and now i have to replace a bunch of stuff in it cause it is wore out.

just giving him some insight. i know people do it all the time yadda yadda yadda and not problems, but i have yet to see a 10 bolt hold up to alot of towing. maybe thats the reason they used semi float 14s and full floats

by the way jimmy nice tow rig, they are more than comfortable on long trips.

i also recommend load levelers, they make towing even more of a joy
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #11 on: 02/25/07 - 01:39AM »
NICE RIG  I HAD  91 BURP.IT WORK  REAL GOOD FOR TOWING LOTS OF ROOM ISIDE FOR ALL YER STUFF.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #12 on: 02/25/07 - 09:29PM »
Well I used it for the first time this weekend... It did great, only time passing gear kicked in was on the way back from SMORR on that big hill before you get back into town...

The kids and I slept in it Saturday night was nice and toasty with a little space heater plugged into and outlet at the gatehouse. Sure was nice to load up and drive back in a clean rig ... Rubys filthy in the driveway... and I don't care... got a clean ride to work tomorrow.   :agree:  I'll clean it up after I recover from a full weekend of wheeling.

Thanks Chad for loaning me your trailer for the weekend! That was mighty white of ya!

Blueyellow

« Reply #13 on: 02/25/07 - 11:36PM »
I Have to admit I Love towing my Rig.  the ride there and Back is Much Nicer not to mention the knowledge of knowing you are gonna get home.... It makes a World of difference on the trail.Wouldn't you agree???

Offline Care Bear

• Level 2
« Reply #14 on: 02/27/07 - 10:33AM »
Nice Ride, Congrats!!!
ari
When you get squeezed, the stuff that comes out, is what is on the inside.