Author Topic: Axle Info  (Read 1242 times)

Blueyellow

Axle Info
« on: 08/20/06 - 12:54PM »
OK I am great need of upgrading my Rear Axle What are my Best Options
9 Inch
dana 44
Dana 60

those are the Options I am looking at what are the Pro's and Cons Of those Axles. Whats everyones Opinon. It's a A Trail Rig. Streeable isn't that important. But I might want to after I replace an engine.

Oh Yeah the application  Is a 89 YJ four inch lift springs, 4.56 Gears, I will Probably Put a Detroit in it.
any other Question needed to answer my Question Just ask! I'll Tell ya
al

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
Re: Axle Info
« Reply #1 on: 08/20/06 - 01:48PM »
from everything that i have read an 8.8 is about the best route. they are easy to find, stronger than a dana 44, good ground clearance, lots of parts, cheap, come with discs, and you dont have to narrow them.

now for the bad.

you need to weld the tubes to the center section, witch is easy to fix, the cover is thin, again easy to fix, the carrier is weak, and if you are planing on a locker that will replace the carrier. so you will be good to go!
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 08/20/06 - 03:08PM »
If your happy with your 30 front and have no plans to go a lot bigger or swap it out then I'd say an 8.8 or XJ 44.  This way you can keep your wheels and bolt pattern.

If your planning on swapping the front later then i'd do a 9" since you can always find shafts for what ever bolt pattern your front will be later.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 08/20/06 - 05:56PM »
I say go woth the 44. and if were me I would try to find a waggy and get the front too. I have seen complete riges for sale for $500 and less this summer.
however there is a 9 in for sale on this site that is 5 on 4.5 bolt and the right with might be a good deal
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline JacksFork

• SMORR
  • Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 08/20/06 - 07:56PM »
14 bolt  or  D 60 allen.......then you have no worrys :agree:  :agree:

Brandon
SOUTHERN MISSOURI OFF ROAD RANCH
http://www.smorr.net

CHECK OUT OUR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE!!
http://smorr.net/facebook

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: 08/20/06 - 10:50PM »
due to your lift springs, a 9 inch ford rear would be strong but your pinion angle would be horrible unless you went with a hi9 rear chunk

i agree if your leaving your front alone then an 8.8 or xj44

but if you going bigger id suggest a ford 44 front and a 60 rear.  making an outboarding kit for the front is super easy

if you go the ford 9 inch route, get a lincoln rear as they are posi with disk brakes and ebraked.
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline tough91yj

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 08/22/06 - 02:25AM »
Quote from: "TJ-2thousand"
\

now for the bad.

you need to weld the tubes to the center section, witch is easy to fix, the cover is thin, again easy to fix, the carrier is weak, and if you are planing on a locker that will replace the carrier. so you will be good to go!

sure the shafts might be better than d44, but from what u listed, there are alot of weak points.
why not look for a set of waggy axles, they can be found somewhat cheap, or id go fullwidth 44s or 44/14bolt
ttp://www.kore4x4customs.com/

beadlocks, truss's, link/shock tabs. controll arms.