Author Topic: blinkers  (Read 2691 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
blinkers
« on: 09/19/07 - 12:07AM »
I put LEDs in my Jeep up front for turn signals, but I do not know what to do and can't figure it out... with the stock turn signal. What I did was hooked the LED (2 wire marker light basically) to the marker light plug from the harness. In order for everything to work I have to leave the bulb in the plug for the stock blinker also part of the harness. Taking it out make the Jeep think there is a burnt bulb or fuse. rendering the blinkers inoperable. I want to take it out so it is not shining brightly under the  hood. I have tried crossing over the wires and grounding it out which doesn't work.

Is there someway to bypass  or kill the power to it and still have blinkers that work? or do I have to actually get a 3wire LED for the turn signal and another LED to hook up for a marker light?

EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
Re: blinkers
« Reply #1 on: 09/19/07 - 12:41AM »
do these lights also act as parking lights, like the factory flare lights do? or are they just blinkers?
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #2 on: 09/19/07 - 12:48AM »
yes they act as parking lights as well.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Blueyellow

« Reply #3 on: 09/19/07 - 01:04AM »
Check your Blinker Fluid it may be low! :applaudit:

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #4 on: 09/19/07 - 01:09AM »
man I've been to every auto store in town, no one carries it.. and the Jeep is bone dry of it.   :zdance:

Offline tcrouth

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 09/19/07 - 01:20AM »
u get them off the net? and what was that led back uplight u were telling me about?

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 09/19/07 - 10:31AM »
The problem is that the resistance of the LED's is so much less than that of a standard incandescent bulb.  To fix your problem you will need to add a resistor to the circuit so that the flasher sees the same load as stock.  Measure the resistance and start there.  It is a pretty common thing with doing led's. :biggrin:
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline tcrouth

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 09/19/07 - 11:26AM »
there r companys that make the fuse that goes under the hood or a n line fuse that you wire n right with the light

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #8 on: 09/19/07 - 11:40AM »
The resistance is not the problem... I already soldered my resister located in the steering column; the blinkers blink just like the stocks ones do, same speed, all that.

The problem:

On a TJ you have a marker light and a turn signal.

I replaced the marker light with the LED because it is 2 wire. just as the LED is. TJ turn signals are 3 wire. I have nothing to hook up to this so it is just laying under the hood with a bulb in it and working. I want to take this out. I do not want it to work, I do not want it there. I have no plans for side markers... and I don't like have a light shining under my hood. It is useless and just hanging there cause if I try to ground it out or take the bulb out of it... it interrupts the entire neuro-net of the blinker system and thus appearing as if a blinker bulb has been blown.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #9 on: 09/19/07 - 11:45AM »
Re-read my post grasshopper.

You will need to measure the resistance across that bulb and insert that big of a resistance on the circuit.  When you added the resistor to the column that was just for the difference in the parking lights themselves.  When you connect the wires together it isn't seeing the same resistance from having the bulb there.

SAVVY?
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #10 on: 09/19/07 - 11:47AM »
Quote from: "tcrouth"
u get them off the net? and what was that led back uplight u were telling me about?

The Grandaddy LED backup light of them all

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #11 on: 09/19/07 - 11:49AM »
Quote from: "OJTV8XJ"

SAVVY?

I will study that which you speak of... Thanks Capn Sparrow.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #12 on: 09/19/07 - 12:02PM »
those back up lights are exactly what i have been looking for! but at $80 apeice i think i will just stick with what i got.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #13 on: 09/19/07 - 12:45PM »
yeah no kidding, but I bet they are super bright, the bulbs are almost 3x the size of the others.

Offline tcrouth

• Level 1
« Reply #14 on: 09/19/07 - 01:05PM »
still dont know where i would but them...