Author Topic: axle problems  (Read 971 times)

Offline zuki

• Level 2
axle problems
« on: 09/26/07 - 12:19AM »
ok i took my rear drive shaft to have it cut down to fit my sye i just swaped out of a donor rig  so i thought i would back the jeep out of the garage( with just the front axle being used ) to see if the front work alright after switching transfercases .  it would move a little and then stop and make some loud racket . so i jacked it up and found that my axle where kicking in and out so i took off the vacum plate and found one of the clips that goes on the U shape thing that moves the ring over to ingauge both axles was off and also found this small bent up  spring . i noticed that there is a lot of play in the axle . i put the clip back on and tried 4wd high and it works fine now, but the play and that little spring worries me does any one  know what all is in there and if it is a seal or what it was or needs to be there??( i had new hubs put in last december so they should be good)

this is a 94 yj  4cly 5 speed with stock axles
94 YJ <br />03 Chevy ext 4x4 <br />88.5 samurai <br />82 chevy short bed 2wd <br />()_) ()_)-o-)_)

Offline cpj

• Level 2
Re: axle problems
« Reply #1 on: 09/27/07 - 01:37AM »
There is a few fixes for that vacum operated engagement thingy, one is a store bought piece, the other is a ghetto fab piece. I dont remeber the link to the ghetto fab one, but it is out there on the web.  It also shows a good view of the insides of that vacum thingy. As to the play, you got me.
Once in a while that perfect part rolls around that the redneck craftsman sees and goes, "this would be just perfect as a ________."

Offline cpj

• Level 2
Re: axle problems
« Reply #2 on: 09/27/07 - 01:43AM »
Once in a while that perfect part rolls around that the redneck craftsman sees and goes, "this would be just perfect as a ________."