Author Topic: Axle  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Matt99

Axle
« on: 04/ 6/08 - 07:28PM »
So I have a 99 Cherokee and I drive it around town it is not just for off road so I was curious What is the cheapest but also best way for axle upgrades? I open to any ideas?

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
Re: Axle
« Reply #1 on: 04/ 6/08 - 08:08PM »
what exactly are you looking for? what tire size do you plan on running? im gussing you have an HP dana 30 in the front now, and that axle is great with just adding alloy shafts. then you could easily put a ford 8.8 out of an exploerer for the rear. the front hp 30 is limited to 4.88 gears, so if you plan on goimg larger thatn 35s you should look at another axle.

hope that helps, i have been doing ALOT of axle research latley!

B
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: 04/ 6/08 - 08:18PM »
So I have a 99 Cherokee and I drive it around town it is not just for off road so I was curious What is the cheapest but also best way for axle upgrades? I open to any ideas?

Find a Dana 44 out of a late 80's XJ that had the factory HD tow package..  Those are getting a little harder to find, but it's an easy install & has the same bolt pattern.

180230176354 there's an ebay number for a Comanche one, but that one won't be a direct drop in.

Give John's 4x4 a call & see if they have or know of any of those around.  If anyone would know, John would.  744-2721

Also, drop map93heep a PM & ask him how his is going.
« Last Edit: 04/ 6/08 - 08:23PM by TanYJ »
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 04/ 6/08 - 08:37PM »
Here's a guy on pirate willing to ship:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672057&highlight=dana+44

Another one in Tyler, Tex. About a 9-10 hour drive, but you can always bribe the Mrs. with a stop at Ikea:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650836&highlight=dana+44
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 04/ 6/08 - 09:46PM »
Really before advice can be given we need to know what it is you have and what you want. 

Axle upgrade means different things to different people.  If you don't wheel it, and it sees only street miles your not in need of a real abuse withstanding axle.  I'm guessing you want lower gears? What size tires are you running?
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline map93heep

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: 04/ 7/08 - 07:08AM »
I'm geting ready to put xj 44 under my cherokee. But yjAaron is right. What exactly are your plans for your rigg. A buddy of mine desided to stay with his 8.25 rearend and put alloy shafts and harden gears in it. He runs 31x10.50. with a 3.5 inch lift and run easy to moderate trails. He had his jeep out to Moab and Archs nation park wheeling and didn't have and problems. He is also a take it slow kind of driver. If your a hammer down driver you probly what something a little bit tougher. There is a book writing by Eric Zappe "Jeep XJ/Cherokee Builder's Guide" it gives alot of good advice. He runs 33x12.50 with an 8.25 29 spline rearend with harden shafts and gears. He ran it through Rubicon a few times and didn't have any problems. He is one of the founders of www.jeepfourms.com and a good friend of his runs www.jeepin.com. They say you can run 8.25 29 spline rearend with shafts and gears and be fine, but if you want bigger tires than 33x12.50 that you better think about changing axles. You also find advice at www.naxja.org. I went with the 44 because mine rigg was still stock and I happen to find one. There is alot more parts out there for a 44 than 8.25 rearend and they are price a little better.    
« Last Edit: 04/ 8/08 - 01:19PM by map93heep »