Author Topic: Best place around to gear and lock axles??  (Read 3038 times)

Offline Big A

• Level 3
Re: Best place around to gear and lock axles??
« Reply #15 on: 11/ 8/08 - 07:44AM »
Here is a good read also...

You can completely overhaul your axles for under 3k

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/drivetrain/131_0804_jeep_wrangler_jk_dana_4x4_axles/index.html
˙ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Offline iJeep

• Level 4
« Reply #16 on: 11/10/08 - 08:00PM »
Those JK axles are far from a bolt-in swap.  But they are a good deal (price for amount of parts).

You have to change:
Pinion Yoke: There are aftermarket yokes available to use standard u-joints, but they aren't cheap.  There are also adapters available, but they still aren't cheap.

Wheels: You either have to get new 5x5 pattern wheels or put on wheel spacers that adapt to your stock 5x4.5.  The problem with the adapters is that the JK axles are already a lot wider than TJ axles, then the adapters add about 2.5" more width.  Both options cost a chunk of change.

Brackets: You could cut your stock TJ brackets off your axles, or buy new brackets.  Either way you will have to cut the JK brackets off and weld the new ones on.

By the time you add all of that cost in, you would be spending more on the JK axles that do not use 4340 shafts and have a locker that is not as strong as aftermarket units.

Offline GHOST00TJ

• Level 3
  • Lary, Andrea, Alexis and Chase
« Reply #17 on: 11/10/08 - 08:18PM »
Ijeep you guys sell what I need do you install?
I'm thinking a friend of mine and I are going to regear my axles but i would rather get at least a 44 for the rear.

Pretty sure I'll go bigger than 35's in a couple years, trying to figure out how to stay low but get big tires.

Offline cjjeepman

• Level 1
« Reply #18 on: 01/22/09 - 12:35AM »
Just to let you guys down there know Riverside salvage in St Loius has 8.8 with disk brakes for 160.00 pulled and ready to go ,not sure on the gears ,last week i seen at least 10 explorers down there ,and a couple 9 in rears ,hope this helps ,Might be worth a trip up here ,open 7 days a week

Offline cjjeepman

• Level 1
« Reply #19 on: 01/22/09 - 12:36AM »
ford 9 in rears that is in other vehicles