Author Topic: Question for the pros (shackle lift)  (Read 1507 times)

Offline BIGGRHAMMR

• Level 1
Question for the pros (shackle lift)
« on: 10/30/06 - 11:08AM »
I'm running 31" tires, with a 2" body lift, and stock suspension.  I just put the body lift on this weekend, and haven't flexed it out yet.  I think I'll be ok, but 2 more inches of lift sure would look better.  Any thoughts on a 2" shackle lift?  I'm planning on sway bar disconnects, and  telesoping trackbars too.  This is also a daily driver  (safety 1st)

Offline ROCKY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
Re: Question for the pros (shackle lift)
« Reply #1 on: 10/30/06 - 11:17AM »
A 2in longer shackles will only give you 1in. Your shackles would have to be 4in longer to gain that 2in's of lift.. I'm not a big fan of shackle lifts. I'd keep my eye open on E-bay for a 2-1/2in Skyjacker springs. There is someone always going to taller springs and selling there old ones.

Offline BIGGRHAMMR

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 10/30/06 - 11:35AM »
Thanks!  I knew a pro would be aware of the geometry already.  I had to do the math on my own to find out that I would only get 1" from a 2" shackle.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 10/30/06 - 11:53AM »
Not to mention that it would have a bad impact on your steering geometry.  Superlift also sells their scratch & dent stuff on ebay.  I got all 4 YJ springs from them for under $200.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: 10/30/06 - 04:41PM »
a general rule of thumb, shackles should never be more than 8 inches long (hole to hole)

if there is bracing in between the 2 sides ( an H design) then it would work, however the front ends wants to wander a bunch.  you would have to relocate your trac bar a bit and watch your bushings closely.

this isnt a preferred method but i have seen it done. (not by me)

ebay is definately the place to go, i got 2 pair of 2 inch lift softrides for 100.00 shipped to my door and they worked excellent.
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 10/30/06 - 07:10PM »
Quote from: "BIGGRHAMMR"
This is also a daily driver  (safety 1st)

I wouldn't do anything with it until you have wheeled it the way it is.  If it's a DD, shackle lifting 2 inchs will be tough to correct.  My suggestion is, roll the cash you were going to spend on shackles into a good inexpensive 2-4 inch SUA lift.  Then wheel it some more.  Th' Tan Turd has a 4" BDS with 33s, and is a great DD & a decent trail rig.  I actually paid someone to install the lift, but it was the best $900 i spent (up to that point, hehehe).  Getting in a rush to go ghetto big will cost you more, in the long run.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline BIGGRHAMMR

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 10/31/06 - 08:41AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I'd rather ask stupid questions now, than look stupid later, being pulled out of the woods .