Author Topic: Squirly Jeep  (Read 1734 times)

Offline BIGGRHAMMR

• Level 1
Squirly Jeep
« on: 12/19/06 - 09:02AM »
Ok, I've had my first Jeep for 8x now, and lovin every min. of it! It's about to become my daily, due to my car, excuse me, other vehicle, became jealous, and is in critical condition.  Anyway, I rotated the tires for the first time yesterday, (was noticing un-uniform wear).  Now I have a squirly condition (like a trailer without enough tounge weight).  I've driven jeeps with the "death wobble" before, and I don't think this is it.  Maybe a bad case of missalignment?  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
Re: Squirly Jeep
« Reply #1 on: 12/19/06 - 10:05AM »
How old are the tires?  Has the Jeep sat a lot?  the tires could be seperating and need to be replaced.
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline BIGGRHAMMR

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 12/19/06 - 10:08AM »
The tires probably have less than 15x on them, they're in excellent shape, very knobby tread.

Offline freds_94

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 12/19/06 - 10:44AM »
have the tires been balanced lately?
trying to raise a teenager is like nailing jello to a tree

Offline BIGGRHAMMR

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 12/19/06 - 11:06AM »
I had Wells tire fix a flat on it last night, so I went ahead and had them rotate the tires.  I mentioned the uneven wear, and they didn't say anything about balancing the tires, but I suppose I should check it.  I wouldn't think that would cause squirly conditions though.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 12/19/06 - 11:14AM »
What causes this is that the tires are worn uneven.  When rotated the edges that have worn then cause it to drive funny until the tires start wearing in to the alignment.  I would have it aligned.  Anytime that you notice that your tires are wearing funny you need to rotate more often.  This is also amplified because they are an aggressive tread pattern.

Hope that helps.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline BIGGRHAMMR

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 12/19/06 - 11:37AM »
Thanks so much for the info!

Offline rubiconcouple

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 12/19/06 - 05:38PM »
Yepper  that  is  very  correct  same  thing  happened  on our  rubicon.  It also developed a  whine  in the  tires  it  did not  have  before  but  is  gone  now  after few  miles   but  I  admit  I waited  wy  to long  to rotate  the  tire  i waited  25 k   which is  way to much..

Offline mjsteiro

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 12/19/06 - 08:38PM »
It is best to rotate tires every approx 3 to 5 thousand miles...especially if they are mud terrian with soft compound.

rotating tires often will get you an extra approx. 10 thousand miles out of them.

At least that is what I have been told.

Mike
othing but skinny pedal!!!

open front, welded rear, 31" LTB's

It may be small but I can still get it UP!!
 Ranch Rocker!!!

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #9 on: 12/19/06 - 08:43PM »
from my tire shop days 4 wheel drive rigs need to be rotated about  every 5000 mile good call Mike and I agree with OJTv8xj 100%
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #10 on: 12/19/06 - 10:30PM »
IFS rigs deffinately need them 4-5k miles for sure.  I rotated the KJ tires when I had my BFG M/T's on and I got great mileage out of them.  When I traded the KJ I got the tires swapped out onto the 2001 1500 Dodge 4x4 and got at least another 11k out of them.  I would have got around 40k out of them rotating frequently.  I could really tell the when they needed rotating from the sound the tires made.

Keith
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...