Author Topic: Opininions Pleas  (Read 1580 times)

Offline BIGGRHAMMR

• Level 1
Opininions Pleas
« on: 09/26/08 - 02:59PM »
Ok, I'll introduce myself.  My name is Mark, and I've been a jeepoholic for three years now.  I rarely post on this site, or any others for that matter, as I prefer to read and learn rather than rant. 

Anyway, the point of this post is do get a general opinion on an argument excuse me, discussion between me and my wife, as to the "worth" of my Jeep when I get done with it.  I'm about to drop in a Cummins 4BT.  For those that don't know what that is, it's the same engine in the Dodge diesel trucks, but the 4cy version instead.  It has the same torque as a 350 engine, but sounds cooler, especially the turbo.  Anyway, my jeep is worth in the neighborhood of $5800 as it is.  It runs fine, and looks great.  My wife thinks that I'm destroying it's value.  My opinion is that it will maintain it's value, or slightly increase it. I don't care really, I would just like to prove a point. 

So, if you were buying a 94yj, and there were two sitting on the lot same mileage cond, etc. except one had a diesel in it.  Which would you buy, and would you be willing to pay more for the diesel or less.  Don't worry about bruising my ego.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Opininions Pleas
« Reply #1 on: 09/26/08 - 03:41PM »
I myself think diesel engines in Jeeps are over-rated. Though there are a few who feel that this multi-thousand dollar (by-the-time-your-done) conversion to the Jeep is a good idea.

here is a write to basically the same as what you are wanting to do:
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/trucks/0610dp_1993_jeep_wrangler_diesel/index.html

I believe you could go with a 4.0 beefed up a bit with a 4:1 transfer case and be much, much happier.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #2 on: 09/26/08 - 03:49PM »
I'd buy the diesel version for the coolness factor.  Of course OJTV8CJ would say it wouldn't matter what I bought because it would just sit in my garage and never go anywhere anyway... (much like his :P )

The downturn I see is that on the trail you won't have anyone around you with spare parts for the engine.  Granted most folks don't carry spare engine parts to the trail, but it may be harder to run to O'Reilly Auto for an oil sending unit or whatever if you're broke down on the trail at SMORR.

Again, I'd go for the oil burner.
Keith
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 09/26/08 - 11:32PM »
I'd buy the diesel for same $ as a stock 4.0 jeep for sure.  However those that know me know that I'd rather have a jeep thats a little different than others. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 09/27/08 - 01:50AM »
4BT for me as well. Especially if it is the same money. I actually considered doing this swap into an old blazer I had. Really cool little engine when you can find them.
2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.

Offline farmboy

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: 09/27/08 - 11:10AM »
diesel by far... just cause its cool!!! I would definatley pay more for the cool factor. 

Just as a side note, I might even put some big stacks coming out the back to add to the cool factor, maybe the bull horn look.  Just a thought.
Be quick to listen, slow to speek and slow to anger!!

Offline Jeeper Creeper

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 09/27/08 - 11:41PM »
well you need to factor in the $$ for the price of diesel! the good part would be you have the torque of a V8, which is what I have in my YJ! and I would have to agree with Aaron, I like the fact that my jeep is different than everyone elses! >:D

also in this neck of the woods you don't have to worry about the legality
of the swap as far as passing smog tests etc!

I'm not sure about the big stacks idea, I think thats pushing it for a jeep! Mine has 10 inches of lift and that sure out does big stacks, and it keeps it true jeep form!
A girl,100lb Chocolate lab, a Jeep with 10 inches of lift and all covered in mud........life is FUN!!

Offline BIGGRHAMMR

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 09/28/08 - 11:05PM »
I think I'll pass on the stacks. I'd rather watch people decide for themselves if what they hear is really what's under the hood. I appreciate the opinions!

Offline Tiff

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 09/29/08 - 10:02AM »
The main problem here is you are trying to use logic.  Logic and our Jeep passion, just don't mix.  Words like "value", "mileage" and "re-sale" just don't really matter in this sport.  It gives us something do to that we "LIKE".  If you think it is cool and you feel good driving down that gravel road into SMORR.  Do it!
ud is good