Author Topic: What do you know of the FORD V-10's?  (Read 2866 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
What do you know of the FORD V-10's?
« on: 01/23/09 - 04:44PM »
What do you know about the FORD v-10 motors? Reliable? Gas mileage? good for towing?

Thanks
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: What do you know of the FORD V-10's?
« Reply #1 on: 01/23/09 - 04:46PM »
Great for towing with lots of power.  I've known 3 people with them and best mpg REAL world not what the overhead tells you was 14 empty average 12.  Usually got 10-11 loaded with a jeep. 

They are also bad about blowing spark plugs out with the aluminum heads.  So double check the year 2V or 3V motor.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #2 on: 01/23/09 - 04:54PM »
what do you mean 2v or 3v?
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 01/23/09 - 05:14PM »
# of valves.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline farmboy

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 01/24/09 - 11:41AM »
When I worked in Springfield my farm truck was the v-10 king ranch.... I drove it everywhere and the best gas milage I ever got was 10 and that was empty on the highway... it would pull just about anything.  I was surprised about that, but it got about 8 loaded to the gills.  I loved it, except you had to stop constently for gas... tank was only 21 gallons (i think)or close there too.
Be quick to listen, slow to speek and slow to anger!!

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #5 on: 01/24/09 - 02:28PM »
Every have any problems with it blowing spark plugs out the head?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 01/24/09 - 03:32PM »
No dave never blew one out but I think it only had 30K on it when he moved. 

Offline farmboy

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: 01/25/09 - 06:27PM »
It was practically new when we got it and I put about 30,000 on it like aaron said but we didn't have any problems.... just made shitty time cause we stopped too much on long trips... if you like to stop every 3 hours then you will love it... i like to stop every 6 or 7, but i'm retarded
Be quick to listen, slow to speek and slow to anger!!

Offline bronco72

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 01/25/09 - 07:49PM »
I HAVE A BUDDY WITH A TURBO V10 AND HE IS RUNNING A LOT OF BOOST AND HAS ONLY POPPED A PLUG ONCE THAT I KNOW OF.  I THINK THEY ARE A GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO AN EXPENSIVE DIESEL.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #9 on: 02/ 1/09 - 05:33PM »
thanks guys... what about the 5.4 Ford v8?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #10 on: 02/ 2/09 - 01:18AM »
Good motors but aren't enough for SuperDuty trucks in most peoples opinion.  In SD trucks they struggle to the point the mileage is barely better than V10.