Author Topic: Don't try this at home! Icecapades on a towbar!  (Read 663 times)

Offline j2sax

• Club Members
  • Level 3
OK, so I am really slammed to move stuff out of my rental unit from a neighbor and out to a field that I have been offered for temporary strorage.  (Thanks Heath and Jeff!)

I told myself that the timing was bad idea when I opened the gate and slid all the way through it's opening arc, however, I had towed the SX4 there and was late leaving to a trip for Fayetteville.  The field is at a pretty intense angle, maybe 8% grade(?) but hey, I am in a hurry so what could possibly go wrong?  

I creeped the truck out a few feet and immediately knew I was screwed when I started a graceful slide.  As I realized there was no stopping I decided to try to get pointed uphill.  I suddenly shot out to around 30-40 MPH and was headed for the fences... did I mention the SX4 was in a tow bar?  Oh, and the field ended in a steep ditch with a nasty fence!  

The SX4 started pushing and totally jack-knifed.  I stayed off the brakes and as soon as the mighty J10 was heading parralell to the fence I started feeding it the skinny pedal.  The SX4 whipped around got me pointed uphill at which point I was heading for a nasty fall... so I gunned it and was able to slow the descent, though I wasn't going any further.  

I came to a stop at last.  When I got out of the truck, I started sliding backwards myself.  I had to hop from Cowpie to cowpie during the whole operation of extricating and straightening the SX4 in it's position.  It was so slick the SX4 wouldn't stay put.  I had removed the front bumper so I re-installed the bolts halfway, and smashed them into the ice.  Then I let the SX4 roll back and stop on it.

After the icecapades I had dinged the perfect front valence (gravel pan) when the car jackknifed.  

Regardless, it could have been MUCH WORSE than it was!  If I had video-taped either of these events I would be a richer man than I am today!  

Jesse
Jesse, Near Sparta, MO FSJ/AMC Freak<br />Wag w/ 6" lift 360/727/229 (208 soon) <br />2 J10s, 2 J20s, 4 Door J20 Project, Lots of Wags<br />73 Commando on Wag Frame, 79 AMX, Several Eagles

Offline DrLewall

• Level 2
Re: Don't try this at home! Icecapades on a towbar!
« Reply #1 on: 01/23/07 - 09:35AM »
DANG! Bummer for your hassle in trying to park a vehicle..but hey, that was pretty darn funny tho!TNX! :agree:
DrLewall
"Doc"