Author Topic: TJ oil pressure/leak issue  (Read 847 times)

Offline Welds Naked

• Level 1
TJ oil pressure/leak issue
« on: 03/ 2/10 - 01:30AM »
Hi all thanks for your time,

i have a 2000 4.0 that has a interesting problem, with oil pressure. When i start up the jeep in the monrning I get about 50psi on and then it settles down to 40psi. The issue is that i drove from Springfield to Osage Beach and had to stop at Lebanon when my check engine light came on and my oil pressure was between 0-5psi. i turned the engine off and waited 20 mins and checked the oil, there wasnt enough oil to show up on the dipstick. I walked to gas station and bought all the 10w-30 they had which was 5 quarts. I then continued on to osage beach, where i checked the oil level the next day and was 1 quart low. I put one quart in it. Drove back to Springfield, got to strafford and the pressure starts dropping, drastically. I did make it home, checked the oil level and same thing as above, almost none. I have sense changed my oil with 10w-30 and Wix filter. Other than the obvious problem, i dont have a single spot on my garage floor. I didnt find any milkiness in the oil and no signs of oil in the coolant. Also the jeep doesnt smoke while it running or smoke when it starts.

I have found several issues with 0331 heads that are cracking, but that usally points to a leak with coolant in the oil. i thought it might be cam bearings but it not just pressure im loosing oil some where/some how.

sorry for the ramble, thanks for your time.

i like shiny things

Offline Welds Naked

• Level 1
Re: TJ oil pressure/leak issue
« Reply #1 on: 03/17/10 - 08:06PM »
Well the bad news is my coolant is now the color of chocolate milk, so Im like 99% sure I have a cracked head. Since the 0331 heads have a prolonged history of cracking. Does anybody have any ideas? Should i go with a salvage head? Priced out a Alabama head, but never heard of them... looked at a possibly going with a ATK replacement engine but only saw one post where somebody had one. Should i consider swaping out and going with a Vortec? I saw the post about the 5.3L. thanks for your ideas.
i like shiny things

Offline xj42

• Level 3
Re: TJ oil pressure/leak issue
« Reply #2 on: 03/17/10 - 11:04PM »
Depends what your budget is.  I've heard of the Alabama heads on NAXJA, you may want to do a quick search over there.  If you go with an earlier head you'll have to rig something up for the coil rail since those bosses won't be in the head.