Author Topic: qudratrac emergency mode  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Shroomjohn

• Level 1
qudratrac emergency mode
« on: 04/ 7/09 - 01:35PM »
Hey guys just wondering how to check if my diffs are locked when I put my qudratrac in emergency mode. I hear the sound an air brake makes when being pulled to a much lesser effect and was wondering if there was a way to check. Thanks

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: qudratrac emergency mode
« Reply #1 on: 04/ 7/09 - 02:19PM »
put it in blocks at the axle, engage it in 4LO, put it in gear, go around and see if all tires are turning. see if you can stop any of them by grabbing them. If you can stop one side and the other still spins, it is not locked.

there's probably an easier way...

ps. make sure it is blocked good and secure.. cause it if falls while your doing this. it's going to take alot to stop it.

EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Shroomjohn

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 04/13/09 - 09:40PM »
Thanks ill give it a try. If you see a jackass chasing after his jeep you'll know it went well! :)

Offline grizzly

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 04/13/09 - 09:57PM »
Additional traction devices were not available from the factory.  Most of the time not recommended because of how the quadratrac works internally.  I think they have a part-time kit if you can it, then you can run what you want.  Does your jeep have low range?  Jeep actually put some of these in jeeps without low-range.  Can be added if you find the parts. You can jack up three corners and if drives off jacks or blocks you will have some sort of traction device.  I might have some axles for sale if I ever make up my mind. Narrow-track with 4.56 gears, power-loc limited slip in front and Detroit Locker in back. Model 20 with solid axles.  Hope some of this helps.

www.jeep.com/en/4x4/how_systems_work/quadra-trac/

Offline grizzly

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 04/13/09 - 10:23PM »
Sorry, the website is for the new quadra-trac and not the old. I believe the first one was Borg-Warner 1339.  I own one once, giving away my age. ha-ha

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #5 on: 04/13/09 - 10:46PM »
It's hard to tell with CJ quadra trac.  With the additional "spiders" in the case.  Best bet is to check if both drive shafts are powered on the ground. 

Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Shroomjohn

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 04/14/09 - 09:01PM »
Thanks ya mines the borg warner 1339 w the low range

Offline Willysman23

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 06/13/09 - 03:23AM »
You shoul be able to tell by engaging it on a loose surface and turing to see if it scrubs.Or you could engage it with the engine on and touch a test light to the top of the e drive switch and see if it is grounded.If it is then it is engaged.