Author Topic: Gasket or no gasket?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
Gasket or no gasket?
« on: 09/ 2/09 - 01:45PM »
I'm supposed to be getting my rocker guards in this week and trying to decide whether i need a gasket between the jeep and the rocker guard? A-Z sells their rockers w/ the gaskets, however when i spoke w/ the guy where i bought mine, he said they don't recommend gaskets. He said there is no sure way to keep stuff out, so they don't use them so they can wash down behind it. He said they just recommend using silicone in the screw holes? So, should i use a gasket or not? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Gasket or no gasket?
« Reply #1 on: 09/ 2/09 - 01:57PM »
I've put a few sets on without any gasket, and 1 set with a gasket.  The gasket was a PIA and really doesn't seem like it would do much after it dry rotted in a year or two.  I'd also avoid silicone, has a bad habit of not coming off well when you try and remove.  Just ask JIMMY.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 09/ 2/09 - 02:01PM »
So, no gasket and no silicone? Would you recommend removing them periodically to clean behind to avoid rusting?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 09/ 2/09 - 02:24PM »
I probably would.  I always pressure washed mine out from the top, and with Brads design it made it easy to spray the mud out off the bottom plate as well.  I haven't run the AtoZ to know access to them.

Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 09/ 2/09 - 02:30PM »
I bought the LOD ones because the price was so good. Though while shopping around i noticed A-Z mentioning the gasket. Ordered them 2 months ago and just now getting them. Hopefully they are well constructed. Thanks for the input.

Nate

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #5 on: 09/ 2/09 - 02:32PM »
I've dealt with them in the past, couple thing I have encountered is lower quality powder coating than I would like (showed rust in 2 months), and getting missing parts from them took months.

However they do make some interesting stuff.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #6 on: 09/ 2/09 - 02:50PM »
yea skip the silicon all over treatment.  Just put a little dab in the holes you drilled; and don't scratch your paint up putting them on. Anywhere you scratch the paint or created bare metal by drilling is going to be prone to rust and needs to be covered up with primer or silicon.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 09/ 2/09 - 03:58PM »
When I put them on my old TJ I looked at it as a one time purchase or at the least there would be a set on the jeep forever so I went no gasket. What I did do was scratch the surface with a green scratch pad and sprayed on the ruberized unbody protection, like 2-3 coats so kinda thick, then once dry I put the guards on. After about 18 Mons I removed them and cleaned behind them and there was not alot of dirt back there and none of the under coating was scratched