Author Topic: Checking in  (Read 1035 times)

Offline Greybeard

Checking in
« on: 09/26/18 - 12:36PM »
Just poking around... thought I'd post something.

Let's see... personal info:  I'm way out in the woods west of Buffalo, MO.  Software engineer, work from home.  Like to tinker... as long as it's not my main driver :)  Other hobbies are firearms (I'm an NRA certified instructor) and Marine aquaria (yeah, weird mix).  Just an old, fat, greybearded white guy.

I'm new to Jeeps.  Been looking to pick one up as a project vehicle for nearly a decade now, never could find the 'right' base.

I want old... CJ2A.  I'm finding that all of them for sale fall into one of three categories.

1) Rust buckets... where you can break off pieces of the frame with your hand. 
2) Hacked.  I'm already getting the feeling this is popular around here, but I want as original as I can get.
3) Show cars, excellent condition, fully restored, and EXPENSIVE!

So... I kept looking.  Last night, I found a 1 hour old Craigslist add for a 47 CJ2A.  Called the guy and got him to commit to waiting for me, went by the bank, and hustled on out there.

Ok, it's not rust free... got some bondo in the corners, surface rust... a couple of holes in the tub, some rust stripes over the fender reinforcements... Paint came out of a rattle can...  BUT.  It's all there.  Original Go Devil 4, untouched.  Trans, drive line, all in good shape.  Frame appears to be in excellent condition.  Heck, even the seats are good.  Someone's stuck a fairly new top on it, in great shape, with doors. 

Doesn't run.  Starter spins, but won't engage. I rocked it back and forth enough to see the engine move, it's not locked up.  Hasn't been started in 2 years... I want to drain the fuel, clean the carb, and lube the top end with some mystery oil before I turn it over.  My guess is that it'll fire right up.

Price was right...  Guy had 10 more waiting to buy it by the time I got there :)

I'm excited to start on a new project :)

Offline Greybeard

Re: Checking in
« Reply #1 on: 09/28/18 - 11:50AM »
Not exactly a hotbed of activity around here, is there...

:104: