Author Topic: Driving lights to replace reverse lights  (Read 1520 times)

Offline why jay

• Level 2
Driving lights to replace reverse lights
« on: 05/25/07 - 02:45PM »
I've got a question for those of you out there who know a bit out electrical crap.  I have LED taillights, the all red ones.  I am trying to wire sone cheap driving lights to use as reverse lights.  The problem is that I am only getting aabout 1.5 v out of the factory reverse wire.  The rest of them are 12 v.  I could always just use a toggle switch, but I would rather wire is so that they come on automatically when shifted into reverse.  I cant see a need to have them on while going foward.  Also, one of the other sites said that I should use a relay so that I dont burn up the factory reverse switch.  Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Jay
I am Joe the plumber.

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
Re: Driving lights to replace reverse lights
« Reply #1 on: 05/25/07 - 03:00PM »
Yep, run a relay that is switched from the stock reverse light wiring.  O Reilly Auto will have a 30amp relay with all the intructions you'll need.

When I was much younger and didn't know about relays I burned up my Ranger pickup headlight switch because a tapped into the headlight wiring to run power to some fog lights without the use of a relay... the relay would have been cheaper.

Run power from the battery to the relay, run jumper from the reverse light wiring and power to the new backup lights and ground the relay.  When you put it in reverse the new backup lights will come on and no risk of burning down your Jeep.

Good luck,
Keith
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #2 on: 05/26/07 - 10:53PM »
i ran mine off the factory power wire. i didnt even have to ground them to work!?!?! been under water and never any problems.

i used some 55w hyper whites from pep boys. i think they were around $15. almost 3 years later they still work just fine!

CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline why jay

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 05/27/07 - 09:16PM »
Okay, I wired my lights and ran into a problem.  They work with a switch, but no automatically.  I found schematics online and follwed them using a 30 amp relay and a 3 position switch.  I tlooked good but after I was through, nothing with the reverse lights.  I am only getiing about 1.5 to 2 volts out of the factory reverse wiring.  I then read the relay packaging and it said "coil voltage: 12V; Pull-in voltage: 6V; Drop out voltage: 3.6V."  The best I can tell is that the 1.5V or so that I am geting from the factory wiring is not enough.  Any ideas.  Also, on another subject, while I was messing with this, I noticed that my ignition fuse in the fuse box beneath the drivers left knee was EXTREMELY not.  It is a 30 amp and wasnt blown, but I think it is a bad fuse.  You could hardly touch it.  Whadaya think.

Jay

Someday, I will be the one answering the questions and not asking.
I am Joe the plumber.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 05/27/07 - 09:26PM »
did you try running them directly off the factory reverse light wire? mine has worked fine.

Offline why jay

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 05/27/07 - 10:26PM »
Do you remeber what color your reverse wire was?  I believe mine is purple.  It only has about 2 volts though.  Plus, with bumping to 110 W lights (2 x's 55W)  I heard that I would burn it up, I also heard that they are not cheap.  I just need to find the reverse switch I think.  I am not even sure that the purple wire is for the reverse light, I have no idea why it would only be 2V.  If ayone out there has a wiring diagram for a YJ, or knows what color the reverse light wire is please let me know.

Jay
I am Joe the plumber.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 05/27/07 - 10:47PM »
mine are blue. i just pulled them down and added enough wire to reach the bumper, and put a plug on the wire and put it to the light. then put some of that plastic wire covering tubing on it. and for some reason the lights work without even being grounded. just 1 wire per light is hooked up!

im not sure of the power output on that wire but they are more than bright enough. the lights are hyper white brand from pep boys. aka cheap!!!