Author Topic: anyone recognize this jeep  (Read 1767 times)

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
anyone recognize this jeep
« on: 04/ 6/08 - 07:36PM »
this is a customer/friends rig.

it getting some much needed upgrades. this just happens to be his custom long arm dual triangulated 4 link upgrade with a 14 bolt

tires are 40 inch and we had to limit the pass side do to the coil buckets not being welded. flex is awsome, and the suspension numbers are even better.

needless to say, the owner is exstatic, even though I injured myself and he had to help get the rear end off of me when it rolled off the stands onto my leg.

when the shackle reversal and the new front springs are under the front, and i finish the rear it will handle like a dream.

its a cj5, v8, auto, 60f 14r, 103 or so wheelbase. I like it!
« Last Edit: 04/ 6/08 - 07:38PM by junkyard »
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
Re: anyone recognize this jeep
« Reply #1 on: 04/ 7/08 - 05:41PM »
looks good
LATA
Ryan
I like jeeps!!!

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #2 on: 04/ 7/08 - 05:58PM »
Ohhhh yeah that is one good lookn jeep, I like it, cant wait to see it hit the trails.
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 04/ 8/08 - 10:09AM »
the jeep is getting some of the tuner fx seats that I carry, they will be mounted to the new cage I have designed for the rig. the rear is getting dovetailed kinda. you will just have to check in to see just exactly how.  the rear is getting some 14 inch travel shocks. they are on my shelf ready for it, I just have to flex it out to the max and measure for the mounts. it will probably get some limiting straps due to how much it flexes. in the garage, we limited for 2 reasons, not enough roof height and the coil mounts weren't welded on.  if my numbers are correct (and they usually are) it will have another 18 inches of flex in the rear.

this jeep is getting some new ideas that I haven't incorporated before. I can thank that to the owner giving me the freedom to try some different things. I guess he trusts my judgement pretty well.

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 04/ 8/08 - 10:31AM »
oh and for my leg......well I dont bruise easily. the doctor said I have a little tearing in my calf muscle and some super deep bruising. nothing requiring work done to it, just some ace bandage when i lift stuff. my knee is another story. it has some bone bruising in 3 spots. whn this happened, I was laying on my creeper measuing up the upper link mounts. I wiggled one a little bit to get the joint to move a bit so the mount would line up with my marks on the frame. when I did that, the jackstand that was under the pinion came out and allowed the rear to roll onto my leg. it was about an 18" or so drop onto my leg. my creeper sits off the ground more than usual since I put larger wheels under it. when the rear landed on my leg, my lower leg was forced flat onto the concrete and my upper leg was still on the creeper. the doc said that it dislocated my knee and then when the rear was pulled off my leg and I rolled out from under it, it slipped back into place. I was worried that it was broke cause i couldnt move my toes or even feel my lower leg for that matter.

once I stood up and started to walk on it, the feeling came back and boy did I wish it would have just stayed numb.

I walking on it fine right now. I took my boys to baseball practice and ran in the outfield for an hour. that probably wasnt the smartest thing to do since I am really sore today

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 04/ 9/08 - 01:13PM »
So it was a stripped axle?  Since you posted that it fell on you I was just wondering exactly how it happened.  I always mount the tires and roll the whole thing under to temp stuff on so that nothing but the pinion can rotate.  Takes more to line it up perfect but I find it easier for me.  Just trying to figure out how that happened.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 04/ 9/08 - 01:22PM »
the axle had everything on it except the coil springs. the lower link mounts were tacked ito place. we were figuring the wheelbase at the time and when we decided what would work with the numbers, I tacked the lowers in and was getting ready to tack the uppers in. I had a jackstand under the pinnion, and each side of the axle.
since the lower links were in place, when the pinnion jackstand slid out (due to the yoke guard on the axle) it rolled downward. this caused the axle to rotate off the jackstand and the rotor to land on the inside of my calf.

normally when I do the 4 links, I have the lift and my BIG jackstands that wont allow the rear to rotate cause they get strapped to the stands. since I am still waiting on my shop title to get straightened out, I cannot use my lift.

it really was no big deal, I have tools I purpose build for these things, and when you have to fab stuff when you arent in your environment to use them, you take risks.

looking back, I should have run a strap from the yoke guard up to the jeep body to stop the rotating. But having been used to using my custom made stands, I am not worrying about things that I used to.

I have designed a new rearend stand that i will be building. this will allow me to weld up the trusses and link mounts and even install the rear without having to use jackstands.

this way I can roll the rear around and do what I have to without jackstands.

innovation through motivation

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #7 on: 04/ 9/08 - 01:34PM »
I got you.  Man that had to suck.  I was rolling one on jackstands and pinched my finger between the tube and the saddle and it hurt enough to make me cuss.  It happens.

Glad your okay.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #8 on: 04/ 9/08 - 08:38PM »
for some reason those 14 bolts like to jump off jack stands, guess its cause of the tubes being fat. when i had my 14 bolt stripped and getting it painted up, it jumped off my jack stands a few times, luckily i wasnt under it when it fell.  that thing was heavy even stripped down. im surprised no bones got broke. ill be interested to see the RTI numbers for that thing.
I like jeeps!!!