Author Topic: 4.0 vs 5.3  (Read 5467 times)

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: 4.0 vs 5.3
« Reply #30 on: 02/17/10 - 11:01AM »
Some mods like CAI serve a better purpose than just performance.  Such as being able to move your air intake source.  His is moved but a factory YJ sucks water from below the height of the fenders.

The TB spacer I got nothing on that one...
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: 4.0 vs 5.3
« Reply #31 on: 02/17/10 - 01:32PM »
Its been proven over and over that the CAI and TB spacer do nothing on jeeps. The factory unit filters and performs better than all those bolt on tubes. Save that money for a header and upgraded ignition.

I did both CAI and TB to the Rubicon in conjuction with the Flowmaster40 and the throttle response was definitely noticeable, and I'd venture to say and even bet money that it increased the HP just a tad. A header and ignition upgrade are not in the budget; and are not worth the money, IMO, for no more than you gain. The 242's ignition is upgraded as compared to the 252 I'm pulling out. Once again I'll say, the STOCK 4.0 is all and more than is EVER needed for a trail jeep. The CAI, TBS, and flowmaster are for throttle response, better sound, and more efficient burning of the fuel... I'll probably go with a HV oil pump... I know for sure I'll put in an aluminum radiator and electric fan. As I research I might find some DIY shade tree mods that I can do on the cheap like the oil catch can. The big $$$ buck, drain your wallet add-ons, like headers, aftermarket ignitions, pistons and what not, don't interest me and I have no use for them. The most money I'm going to spend on this rebuild is going to be for the rebuild kit itself.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.