Author Topic: Would you trust a used YJ for trail runs without much 'testing'?  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Zalthepal

• Level 1
I  just picked up a 95 YJ last weekend, wanted to do the Smorr cleanup run on Saturday, but it needs some work before then. This thing, while it drives surprisingly awesome, I can see it's been neglected for some time. I changed the plugs out, for example they're so old and worn they have about 3.5 times the gap they should have had. Having said just what I've said so far, would you trust a 4.0L and it's used driveline out on trails if you haven't had much time on the road to test it? It seems to work great, but with 157k on it, I'm starting to wonder if the head should be pulled to try and check the real condition of things. Should a 4.0L be in descent shape with that kind of mileage on it? I'm not real familiar with Jeeps and their durability on mechanics. Any advice or input please? On a last note, I would never go on a trail ride alone of course.

Thanks!
Get a bigger hammer...<br />More throttle should solve it...<br />Just a little more welding...

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
i would certainly trust it. a 4.0 inline 6 can hardly be killed. i ve seen some guys with so much blowby that they would have to put oil in it after the trail run, then theyd drive it home. as long as its not burning major oil, i would just change the fluids incl. oil and filter, tranny, transfer case, and differentials front and rear; do a tune up(which it sounds like youve done) and give it a good greasing, such as the steering and balljoints and check the drive lines to make sure they dont have any grease zirts, as well as check for looseness, if that thing wobbles around really bad it means you may need new u-joints(always a good thing to take on the trail with you anyway) As far as duribility, Jeep is the best, in my book. ive seen stock or slightly modified jeeps do amazing things.  SMORR is probably the BEST place to go wheeling even by yourself. it is centralized where every trail ends at or very close to a central logging road(check out the map), if you break, its less than a mile walk back to the truck. The cleanup would be a great thing for you to go on cause it will let you get to know the guys who know SMORR best, cause most of those who help clean are the ones who helped build it.  welcome to jeeps and you may want to take your Jeep Flu shot or youll be offroad crazy like to rest of us.
Hope to see you on the trails!!
Ryan
I like jeeps!!!

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
4.0's will run a long, long time if taken care of. I just recently sold a Cherokee with 235,xxx miles on it and it still ran like an ape with stripes. As far as taken it out on the trail, you probably want to make sure it will run good enough for short trips around town (if you have it licensed) before hitting the trails. It's easier to get it back to your house from a city street than it is from a trail way out on the back 40.  I'm not sure if the clean up run would be the best time to take a rig out for testing, since everyone is going out to clean up trails more than simply trail ride. That's not saying that you couldn't, just if you do, make sure you got something to get you and your jeep home if it does break down on you.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline JacksFork

• SMORR
  • Club Members
  • Level 3
Wish i could answer that question for ya but i am so not mechanically inclined. There are lots of folks on this site with the knowledge you need so i am sure someone will chime in. You could also ask for advice on the SMORR site if you wanna.

Hope to see ya on the trails soon.

Brandon
SMORR
www.smorr.net
SOUTHERN MISSOURI OFF ROAD RANCH
http://www.smorr.net

CHECK OUT OUR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE!!
http://smorr.net/facebook

Offline Zalthepal

• Level 1
Sounds good, I won't have it ready to my specs by Sat, I just found out my spare has a nail in the sidewall, so it's trash. I've got some puttin' together and getting things in place before I feel this thing should be taken out. (such as checking every last fluid on the truck). Unfortunately, I'll probably be blowing the weekend working on it rather than driving it. One last thing, I've checked the for sale parts, I'm looking for some better doors for it also, the full soft doors are not in super shape. Thanks very much however, for the input! I'll be happy to join when I can, I know the wife is ready to be rid of me for a day...
Get a bigger hammer...<br />More throttle should solve it...<br />Just a little more welding...

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
SMORR is probably the BEST place to go wheeling even by yourself.

Not EVER a good idea.  Recovery is too hard with 2 or 3 vehicles and a group of vehicles - let alone only one vehicle that broke.  Walk from Larry's hill out and see if it isn't one of the longest miles that you walked.

I would argue that the clean up run would be an ideal time to work it out.  Lots of peeps will be there IF you did need help and it will be allot of stopping to clean.  This would give you an opportunity to check things out.

I say wheel it till it breaks and replace/upgrade it.  Unless it is just falling apart - wheel it.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
I'd say cleanup run would be a decent shakedown for reasons brad gave.  Also never wheel alone, its a really good way to have a really bad day.  Murphys's Law man.

I would however at least have a spare tire before you come out. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
Is the YJ lifted at all?  What size spare do you need (what size tires are you running)?  Even better, bring it to our monthy meeting at the library on Campbell next thursday at 7:30, and have some of us pick it apart.  Welcome, Chris, and we look forward to seeing more of you around.

Never mind, i read your profile, and someone probably has a cheap, used 31 laying around, just pop a post in the "Want to buy" forum, or check on Craigslist.

Quote from: Zalthepal link=profile=
First goal, tires, and a winch. Possibly a lift. I want to go out on rides before I invest more cash.

That's the best profile i've read in a while.
« Last Edit: 02/28/08 - 11:25PM by TanYJ »
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline Zalthepal

• Level 1
Correct, I'd have to have a spare, it still has a stock 235/75/r15 or whatever the original wrangler tire is. It's bad, so I'm still looking. Everything on the jeep works good and is stock except the tires, my main concern is the engine, it rattles/knocks/slaps when I shut it down. I still think it'll run for a good long while, the plugs were worn, but not fouled, and not oily. I'll be happy to join everyone asap, I'm putting in an old CB I have lying around, adjusting the top that was barely on it, trying to fix the doors, and obtain some tires, (better ones) or at least a spare of course before I get started.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
            Sound like you have been bitten by the jeep bug, and a good project to mess around with. If you have a camera post up some pics, We have some square headlight lovers in the crowd. :77:
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
Not EVER a good idea.  Recovery is too hard with 2 or 3 vehicles and a group of vehicles - let alone only one vehicle that broke.  Walk from Larry's hill out and see if it isn't one of the longest miles that you walked.

I would argue that the clean up run would be an ideal time to work it out.  Lots of peeps will be there IF you did need help and it will be allot of stopping to clean.  This would give you an opportunity to check things out.

I say wheel it till it breaks and replace/upgrade it.  Unless it is just falling apart - wheel it.

well if your stock your going on stock trails, usually less damage and easier recovery, and i do agree if you dont know the park its best to have a friend who does. i agree recovery is difficult by oneself, but in a private park if you break, you can leave it and walk to your truck or find someone who is willing to come get you or at least help. that and SMORR is within 10 miles of 2 auto parts stores.  as opposed to state parks where its a bad idea to go by yourself cause its usually miles of walking and if you leave it for too long then the rangers breathin down your neck.  meanwhile stuffs being stolen off it piece by piece.  Thats why i said SMORR is the best if you are gonna wheel alone, Brandon is cool too.  I guess this is just my opinion, but i dont mind nature walks and i have wheeled SMORR by myself and walked it, now granted i didnt go up crazy trails like larry's hill but i still had a good time when i couldnt find anyone to go wheelin with.  Please dont think im arguing im just voicing my opinion.
Thanx
Ryan
I like jeeps!!!

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!

X2  NEVER EVER EVER wheel alone, unless you like to walk, and leave youre rig in the woods.....

The clean up run will be a great shake down cruze for you.  Change the fluids, lube it good, and wheel it.  I bet it does great.
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png