Author Topic: Willys Axle Sawp  (Read 781 times)

Offline cousin

• Level 1
Willys Axle Sawp
« on: 12/22/08 - 11:28PM »
I have been kicking around the idea of swapping the axles out under my 63' Wagon for a long stinking time, well it's finally time and now I am trying to decide exactly what to do.  The truck will be street driven mainly, and when off road it won't be anything too serious...  No jumps and high speed stuff.

The only thing I am dead set on is swapping axles, and will probably lenghten the wheelbase out the front a few inches, it's 104.5 stock.  I am sure a 33" tire will be plenty big on it.  These are what I have thought of so far

- Leaf springs
- Unilink with coils
- Unilink with Nitrogen/Air shock
- Or??? Open for suggestions

The motor is the stock Super Hurrican 226, stock tranny, stock double reduction gear case, has a PTO winch, that looks to have come stock.

Axles I am pretty open on too, the stockers lasted 45 years. 

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
Re: Willys Axle Sawp
« Reply #1 on: 12/23/08 - 12:34AM »
I would get  some axles and leaf out of a newer wagg.just my 2 cents
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Willys Axle Sawp
« Reply #2 on: 12/25/08 - 04:32PM »
Waggy leaves would increase your WB for you while maintaining the stability of leaf springs.  As far as axles, hard to go wrong with 44 front, out of waggy or chevy, and rear is the same.  With tire size I'd stick with 44's or even a 9" rear since they are so cheap to build.

Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato