Author Topic: Wheels and lift?  (Read 2378 times)

Offline Craig333

Wheels and lift?
« on: 03/22/09 - 10:04PM »
After my first try at wheeling here. I now know I will need to custom my jeep. So I need to know what size wheels I will need, I know 33's would most likely be the best way to go. But what size can I get away with and still enjoy the rocky wheeling around here. And what size lift will i need. Can you tell I'm new to this :105:

its a 93 Jeep
« Last Edit: 03/22/09 - 10:06PM by Craig333 »

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Wheels and lift?
« Reply #1 on: 03/22/09 - 10:20PM »
33's are a good place to start with 15x8 or 15x10 wheels depending on width of the tires you buy.  Another good place to start is a simple 4" suspension lift.  I'd recommend either BDS or Rubicon Express.

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/471_1_36_46

Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
« Reply #2 on: 03/22/09 - 10:32PM »
Body protection, and skid plates.  Theese are as important as any lift.  Rock sliders, bumpers, stering, engine, and gas tank skids would all be smart.

1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline Craig333

« Reply #3 on: 03/22/09 - 10:53PM »
Could I still run the wheels I have with the 4" lift kit? I now I will not be able to do all at one time.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 03/22/09 - 11:15PM »
I haven't seen your jeep so I can't tell you that. However you can keep your wheels and stock tires, and when you upgrade tires go to a 33x10.50x15 and keep factory style wheels. 

Armor is important, as brad says... its personaly preference I like to go taller at first and get as much up away from the damaging obstructions as I can then add armor later.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Craig333

« Reply #5 on: 03/22/09 - 11:18PM »
My jeep is a stock as it comes right now. 93 jeep Wrangler.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 03/22/09 - 11:23PM »
Best bet is to find some used parts as others upgrade etc...

Personally I'd order a lift when you can afford it, then keep an eye out for used tires and wheels.  I may even have a set of 2" springs I'd make you a deal on, but have to wait til I could go home and get them.

Offline Big A

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: 03/23/09 - 01:13AM »
Did Bobby sell his 33's yet? Those would be perfect, And priced GOOD!
˙ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #8 on: 03/23/09 - 01:18AM »
YEP.  Those are already gone.

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #9 on: 03/23/09 - 01:48AM »
if it is a 4 cyl. you will like it better with new gears also. if you drive  on the hiway much.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline hotshot

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 03/23/09 - 01:52AM »
If you want to spend as little as possible, I suggest you do a 2" budget boost, 1" body lift, find some used 33" tires on steel rims, install tow hooks (front and rear), get your 4low fixed and you will have a trail worthy rig.

From there you upgrade as you can afford it or as you break it.

8)

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #11 on: 03/23/09 - 01:57AM »
Mark,  He can't really do a 2" budget boost as YJ's are leaf sprung.  Tow hooks are a great point if you don't have them, get them! 

Really there is no limit to where you can go building your jeep, or a bad place to start.  It's all personal preference and budget. 

Offline hotshot

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: 03/23/09 - 02:02AM »
Oh yeah  :-[

How about a 2" shackle lift?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #13 on: 03/23/09 - 02:05AM »
Not without some bad consequences.  Best bet if 2" would be enough for him would be add a leaves front and rear which usually nets about 1.5-2" and then 1/2" shackles or so.  But even then need new shocks, etc. 

In my opinion starting with a good 4" lift kit is a great starting point that way suspension is done, and you've replaced a lot of the fatigued pieces.

Offline Craig333

« Reply #14 on: 03/23/09 - 02:16AM »
Thanks for the info guys, I have a 6 cyl. So tanny I have now will be good?