Author Topic: Body Lift questions  (Read 2560 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Body Lift questions
« on: 08/30/06 - 05:05PM »
I am getting ready to add a 2" Body Lift on top of my 4" Suspension Lift...
Can anyone give me a heads-up on anything... like extra stuff I may need?
Or known problems that you yourself... or someone else you know may have  run into with something like this.  Jeep is an 05 Rubicon.

Thanks.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Body Lift questions
« Reply #1 on: 08/31/06 - 07:35PM »
Is there not one person in the club or has ever put on a body lift?

Come on! help a brutha out. :bowdown:
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #2 on: 08/31/06 - 07:38PM »
Linkages, steering, adjusting brake lines.... There are allot of little things.  Air conditioning lines/hoses....
It is all those little things that make up all the time to put one on.

I can't think of anything specific, but the above things are stuff that I have had to deal with in the 3 that I have done.

When are you doing it?

B
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 08/31/06 - 08:38PM »
I've taken them off jeeps i've bought since I think they look bad.  The things brad mentioned are biggies and the biggest pain is adjusting your 4wd shifter so Low side doesn't kick out.

When and were are you doing it?  I'll give you a hand if you need some help.

Aaron
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #4 on: 08/31/06 - 11:26PM »
I ordered it off of 4wd.com, Tracking says it will be here on Tuesday, though it has already been processed in Earth City, MO so maybe I will get lucky and get it tomorrow. Otherwise it will be hard to get it done by the next run. I am not sure I want to try to tackle it after work some evening, being my jeep is the only thing I have to drive. I want it done by then so that is probably what will happen. I may have to thumb it to work a day...  

I appreciate your input... it helps! This will be my first body lift.

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: 08/31/06 - 11:37PM »
i did a belly up kit from 33 engineering with my 1 1/4" body along with 1" motor lift so a/c line weren't affected.  body lift itself took about 1-1 1/2 hours total to do.

Blueyellow

« Reply #6 on: 08/31/06 - 11:39PM »
Body lifts are Easy if you have a Floor or bottle jack, good lighting, and level space to do it. It shouldn't be hard at all. You should be able to get it done in one evening. HVACMASTER, Me and a friend of his did his belly up kit. In one evening. If ya need some help before the stocker run Holler at me.
Al

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #7 on: 08/31/06 - 11:59PM »
cool, you guys are making me feel alot better. I get pretty impatient, so I will more than likely tackle it after work next week. I sure would like to done have it before the run, otherwise I'll still be stuffing fat tires and losing flex. I know I have enough jacks around here...

I'll just be doing it at my house. I have a 2 car garage, level, and more tools than I know I will need. Probably Wednesday night after work... I'm sure I will slip out early that day.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #8 on: 09/ 1/06 - 01:24PM »
PM me some directions to your house and maybe Toy and I can come over and see if you need someone to stand around.  I mean help.  LOL

Have to see what my schedule for work is tho.

B
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline stripe

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #9 on: 09/ 1/06 - 04:18PM »
The main problem I had with my 2" body lift was the t-case linkage.  I had difficult putting t-case into 4-lo even aftering adjusting it.  I ended up buying an aftermarket t-case linkage that moves the linkage from the body.  FYI, don't buy the one from SkyJacker.  I've since switched to a 1" body lift and I'm much happier both on and off road.
Education is what you get when you read the fine print.  Experience is what you get when you don't.

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: 09/ 1/06 - 07:18PM »
i got the advance adapter linkage and it works good.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #11 on: 09/ 1/06 - 09:32PM »
Man I sure appreciate you guys giving me pointers... thank you everyone.

I did receive the lift kit today so looks like I will do this Sunday afternoon or Monday since I am off work, I might be able to get to it tomorrow... not sure  yet.

There is some kind of linkage adapter that came with this... I'll see how it works. This kit is from Performance Accessories.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #12 on: 09/ 3/06 - 12:23PM »
Body lift vs. Coil spring spacers....

After read through the instructions for the Body Lift, it seems it would be a heck of a whole lot easier to just add Coil Spring Spacers...  so my question is:

Which is better, performance wise?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #13 on: 09/ 3/06 - 12:31PM »
Both have their pros and cons like everything else.  The body lift would allow you to do a flat skid down the road and greatly help your clearance.  The body lift is more of a pain to get on and get all the little stuff right "shifter linkage etc".  The body lift also doesn't raise your center of mass as much as the susp.

The spacer lift will put your (i assume short arms) at an even steeper angle which could hinder your flex.

So it's all a trade off for what you want.

Personally I'd do spacers unless you plan to do a flat skid.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #14 on: 09/ 3/06 - 03:08PM »
Clearance and better flex is what I want, and I most definitely want to do a flat skid later on. So this is going to work out okay. Thanks!