Author Topic: Onboard Air  (Read 1049 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Onboard Air
« on: 09/ 6/06 - 02:18PM »
What's the best bang for your buck with an Onboard Air Setup?

I've found a Rugged Ridge brand 400P set up for a little over $100
Anyone ever had or used one of these?
http://www.rubicon4x4.com/product_info.php?cPath=909_910_3300&products_id=25415

I know some people prefer to build their own from old Yorks A/C units and other parts bought from junkyards, has anyone done this?
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
Re: Onboard Air
« Reply #1 on: 09/ 6/06 - 02:37PM »
i went with Viar 400c.  you have to look at cfm output, and duty cycle.  20% duty isn't very much, but depends on what you are going to do with it, are you going to put tanks on vehicle or is it just for airing up tires.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #2 on: 09/ 6/06 - 02:47PM »
I'm not sure... possibly a portable tank ...

I don't know that I would ever use it for anything other than airing up tires, air matresses, inner tubes and such. But I don't want to take forver to air up tires... looks like with that rugged ridge setup it would take 12 minutes or more to air my rig back up. I think I would want something that could be used to air up a couple rigs and quickly. Though if that would jump me into the $300 setups... I think I would learn to live with a slower one.

How long does it take you with your setup?
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 09/ 6/06 - 02:57PM »
that Viair 400C is not priced too shabby at streebeatcustoms. $169... they have the 450C which has a 100% duty cycle for $189, but word on the net says it is slower.

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 09/ 6/06 - 03:29PM »
i guess i have the 450 it's the 100% duty.  it is slower but can run all day without overheating.  i need to install some more air tanks on mine for capacity.