Author Topic: Need Info On Fuel Injected Engine Swap  (Read 1099 times)

Offline DBox

• Level 1
Need Info On Fuel Injected Engine Swap
« on: 04/25/07 - 10:57PM »
We're going to get started on our 1970 Chevy tow rig and want to put a fuel injected engine in it. I have a friend who owns a salvage yard that will give me a good deal on a whole donor vehicle. I would appreciate any info from you that have done this type of swap or know of a web site that would help. Thanks.
avid Box "Real Jeeps are built, not bought."  And I'm still building this one!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Need Info On Fuel Injected Engine Swap
« Reply #1 on: 04/25/07 - 11:26PM »
Put a CUMMINS in it.  The 24 valve and even the new ones are almost completely self contained on the motor.  3 wires to hook up or something like that comes to mind.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline xjnation

• Level 1
Re: Need Info On Fuel Injected Engine Swap
« Reply #2 on: 05/28/07 - 07:10PM »
I know its an old post but just in case........  A tuned port injection setup out of a 80's IROC Z is also a 3 wire hookup.  not much to it.  If you want to go TBI out of a late 80's early 90's truck, try to pull the entire harness as 1 unit.   The fuel pump relay and sender run all the way to the back of the truck.  I started this setup (tbi) on my old XJ and its just a lot of wire to deal with.  There are alot of unused wires that are not fun to make look halfway good.  You can get a custom harness built with only the wires you need from painless or a coupl of other companies.....that would be the easiest but $$$$.  Painless is usually the highest cause you pay for the name.  They know their sh*% though.  TPI is by far going to be the easiest but that Cummins sounds awful cool.  If your motor is good you can just swap everything from the intake up and hook up the 3 wires.  I'd like to find a Cummins to put in my ol dodge RV,make a tow rig out of it.  Good luck.  Tim